Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

All Models and Years
Post Reply
Caudillo63
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:00 pm

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by Caudillo63 »

I'm debating on changing my 4 speed to automatic. Because my wife can't drive stick & I don't have the patience to teach her. is there a lot of work to change over. I seen they sell an automatic shifter that looks like the original shifter. Any feed back would be appreciated or has anyone else done this?

User avatar
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month
Posts: 9704
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Lake Chatuge Hayesville, NC
Contact:

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by bbodie52 »

:burnout: :think:

Image

I would suggest giving her the benefit of the doubt and let her take a shot at a stick shift in an empty parking lot. Teens can learn it, and they have to learn how to drive at the same time! She already knows how to drive, so adding a stick shift skill should not be hard. You can even throw in an incentive. Tell here if she is successful at learning to drive a stick shift she can spend $1000 on new clothes or a favorite hobby. You will save money on parts and will save your labor. She will gain a valuable skill and a new wardrobe! ::-):


Part number C12679: FLOOR MOUNTED PG SHIFT KIT-INFO=C12679A CABLE C12806-NOT INCLUDED LEVER,KNOB,BOOT $ 217.20

Part number C9680: REBUILT PG TRANS 60-66-WARRANTY 6 MONTHS CORE VALUE FOR COMPLETE TRANS *OR*

NOTICE: Price includes core value: $270.0. You will be issued a refund of $270.0 when you return the used part.

Weight: 70 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 135
Price: $ 985.50


Part number C10374: TORQUE CONVERTER KIT-ALL PG EXC 140
This part is a Multi Kit, which contains the following parts:
Part Number C9216: 1 x 60-69 REBLT TORQUE CONVERTER W/RING GEAR
Part Number C9232: 1 x TORQ CONVTR CHG GSKT SET 60-69 EXC 140*


NOTICE: Price includes core value: $150.0. You will be issued a refund of $150.0 when you return the used part.

Weight: 26 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 135B
Price: $ 464.30

You would also need a Powerglide differential, a different engine bell housing for the torque converter, and a range of other linkage parts, engine parts like a balance tube to feed the vacuum modulator, a torque converter flex plate, a neutral safety switch, etc.

:idea: Or... you could pay a professional driving school to teach her to drive a stick shift. The cost would be far lower than the conversion cost for converting your Corvair to a Powerglide! Besides, you may not like the feel of driving a Corvair that is fitted with a 2-speed slushbox!!

:banghead:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

User avatar
terribleted
Posts: 3790
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by terribleted »

It is pretty involved to do it right and completely. Best way to do this is to buy a complete 63 PG Corvair and swap parts over. That way you would have all the parts you need. Trans, diff, trans crossmember, PG shift cable, shifter, Instrument cluster, Wiring harnesses (incorporates neutral safety circuits), pedal assemblies and more. A relatively easy conversion if all the parts are on hand.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

66vairguy
Posts: 2224
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by 66vairguy »

X2 on what Ted said. Also take lots of pictures before and while taking things apart.

If you do buy a parts car, think about a 64 and upgrade the front and rear suspension to the 64 setup as it rides and handles better and adds value to the car.

perfectreign
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:53 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by perfectreign »

I started learning stick at 43 after buying a commuter TDI Jetta five speed. Took a few days only.

Stick with the stick. My son is learning for his corvair.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A turn signal is a statement, not a request.
Kai Ponte - www.perfectreign.com

Image2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

Image 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid

User avatar
toytron
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:30 am

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by toytron »

perfectreign wrote:I started learning stick at 43 after buying a commuter TDI Jetta five speed. Took a few days only.

Stick with the stick. My son is learning for his corvair.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A turn signal is a statement, not a request.
Of all the girls/women some of them in my family, I have found them to learn sick quicker than guys.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

User avatar
CorvairCon65
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by CorvairCon65 »

You guys have it so lucky over there. Here, in the UK, if you take your driving test in an auto, then that's all you're allowed to drive unless you re-take your test with a stick shift (or 'manual' as we call them here). So most here learn in a stick-shift so as to not be limited in choice of car.

User avatar
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month
Posts: 9704
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Lake Chatuge Hayesville, NC
Contact:

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by bbodie52 »

:doh: :goodpost: :whoa:

It is likely that some low-level unelected bureaucrat made that rule up 50 years or more in the past, and thus condemned millions of British drivers to live under such transmission tyranny forever. How hard is it to submit a proposed change in the law to eliminate such bureaucratic meddling? In California, a ballot proposition can be a referendum or an initiative measure that is submitted to the electorate for a direct decision or direct vote. Do they have anything like that in Jolly Olde England??? Do you get Manual Transmission Credit for automobiles if you ride a motorcycle?

:dontknow: :burnout: :rallye:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

User avatar
toytron
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:30 am

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by toytron »

bbodie52 wrote::doh: :goodpost: :whoa:

It is likely that some low-level unelected bureaucrat made that rule up 50 years or more in the past, and thus condemned millions of British drivers to live under such transmission tyranny forever. How hard is it to submit a proposed change in the law to eliminate such bureaucratic meddling? In California, a ballot proposition can be a referendum or an initiative measure that is submitted to the electorate for a direct decision or direct vote. Do they have anything like that in Jolly Olde England??? Do you get Manual Transmission Credit for automobiles if you ride a motorcycle?

:dontknow: :burnout: :rallye:
Brad, I think they need to take up arms and start a revolution!Image

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

User avatar
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month
Posts: 9704
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Lake Chatuge Hayesville, NC
Contact:

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by bbodie52 »

Maybe they could join us and make England the 51st state! Now that would be BREXIT done the right way! They could even begin driving on the right side of the road!! And Donald Trump could be the new Prime Minister!
:woo:

Image
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

User avatar
CorvairCon65
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by CorvairCon65 »

Well, I think getting the law changed is a little more tricky here Brad, we would need to petition our local MP and government bodies like DVLA (equivalent to your DMV). I can't see it changing. As for the 51st state? With the way Brexit is going at present, who knows, lol?

But we'll never change the side of the road because we're predominantly right handed. It all dates back to horse riding and chivalric code. If you ride on the left, you can pull your sword and fight with your right hand (also why castle spiral staircases are clockwise, to favour the defenders). Most of Europe was riding on the left. Then Napolian came in and changed it to the right...just to be different...and sadly most countries remained on the right.

User avatar
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month
Posts: 9704
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Lake Chatuge Hayesville, NC
Contact:

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by bbodie52 »

Thanks for the history lesson. I should have known that driving on the left side did not just "happen" randomly. I suppose that driving on the left side also allowed the continuation of jousting, while wielding your lance with the right hand? What do you do with your sword when driving a Corvair with the steering wheel on the left side??? :dontknow:

Perhaps someday the "left-wing" Democrats will be in power and will form a North American Union, consisting of Canada, the United States, Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama. Then we can do away with those pesky borders, and all would be right with the world! Canada and the USA would have to drop English and French, though, so we would all speak Spanish.

Since El Salvador, Panama, the USA, and Canada all use the dollar (in some form) we could all settle on the dollar for currency and call it the Amero and keep the dollar sign ($).

I'm so confused! :dontknow: :rolling: :doh: Never Mind.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

User avatar
toytron
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:30 am

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by toytron »

bbodie52 wrote:Thanks for the history lesson. I should have known that driving on the left side did not just "happen" randomly. I suppose that driving on the left side also allowed the continuation of jousting, while wielding your lance with the right hand? What do you do with your sword when driving a Corvair with the steering wheel on the left side??? :dontknow:

Perhaps someday the "left-wing" Democrats will be in power and will form a North American Union, consisting of Canada, the United States, Mexico, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama. Then we can do away with those pesky borders, and all would be right with the world! Canada and the USA would have to drop English and French, though, so we would all speak Spanish.

Since El Salvador, Panama, the USA, and Canada all use the dollar (in some form) we could all settle on the dollar for currency and call it the Amero and keep the dollar sign ($).

I'm so confused! :dontknow: :rolling: :doh: Never Mind.
I think you are getting a little crazy there Brad........But although there are a lot of Spanish speaking people in Latin America (about 120 million in 2017) I think with Canada and the U.S. We probably will have to concede with two languages for a while. Interesting thing is that we (in the U.S.) have more Spanish speakers than Spain!

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

User avatar
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month
Posts: 9704
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:33 pm
Location: Lake Chatuge Hayesville, NC
Contact:

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by bbodie52 »

:sad5: I wasn't serious. Just trying to poke some fun at some of the ridiculous things I've been hearing on TV and from Washington DC. Too many Congressional hearings, investigations, plots, schemes, political maneuvering and manipulation, Democratic Socialist wanderings, panicked politicians, lost causes, California meltdowns (I grew up there), etc. I wonder what the November elections will bring?

I think I will go back and play Corvair for a while... :tongue:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

User avatar
CorvairCon65
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:52 am

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by CorvairCon65 »

bbodie52 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:57 am
Thanks for the history lesson. I should have known that driving on the left side did not just "happen" randomly. I suppose that driving on the left side also allowed the continuation of jousting, while wielding your lance with the right hand? What do you do with your sword when driving a Corvair with the steering wheel on the left side??? :dontknow:
Do you really want to know what I do with my 'sword' whilst I'm driving my Corvair Brad? :rolling:

I keep it sheathed of course! :tongue:

User avatar
toytron
Posts: 833
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:30 am

Re: 1963 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible

Post by toytron »

bbodie52 wrote::sad5: I wasn't serious. Just trying to poke some fun at some of the ridiculous things I've been hearing on TV and from Washington DC. Too many Congressional hearings, investigations, plots, schemes, political maneuvering and manipulation, Democratic Socialist wanderings, panicked politicians, lost causes, California meltdowns (I grew up there), etc. I wonder what the November elections will bring?

I think I will go back and play Corvair for a while... :tongue:
So was I Brad, I wasn't trying to get serious but I did find it interesting.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Post Reply

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”