Rampside Oil Leak

All Models and Years
Trexco

Rampside Oil Leak

Post by Trexco »

My 61 rampside (64 110 truck engine / PG) has developed an oil leak. I have changed the oil pan gasket and the valve cover gaskets. Still leaks. Leak appears to originate around the back of the engine passengers side. Wonder if it could be leaking around the fill tube ??
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Rampside Oil Leak

Post by Scott H »

That could be it if your PCV not working correctly and is allowing pressure to build up in the crankcase. Also could be a cylinder base gasket leaking.

I am not that great a fixing/diagnosing these things yet so hopefully some of the other "more experienced" members will also chime in here.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

O rings for the push rod tubes, top cover leaking down, any of the rear gaskets for the crank cover. Could be from a number of places. I would suggest cleaning it with a good degreaser, than kep an eye on it and try to trace the leak. If it's stubborn, I believe there is a dye you can ad to the oil to help trace it.
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/
amish006

Post by amish006 »

I had a oil pressure sending unit go bad once. Located lower right rear, It was a major leak ...........
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by UNSAFE »

It's possible but not that likely that the fill tube is the problem.

Most oil leaks will end up showing at the rear even if they started farther forward.

The OP sender is a common leak area but the pushrod tube O-rings are the most common culprit.

Like Ronnie said - clean it up real good and then watch for where the leak first appears. You will need to remove the lower shrouds. I use Gunk or similar spray degreaser on a warm motor if possible and then hose down with warm water.

There are several other places that could be leaking including rear housing gaskets and seal or even the pump shaft.

I'd eliminate the O-rings first !

"UNSAFE"
Attachments
1200.jpg
1200.jpg (18.99 KiB) Viewed 938 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”