Valves Knocking at Idle

All Models and Years
gregpenn

Valves Knocking at Idle

Post by gregpenn »

65 Monza 140, automatic. Starts fine, no knocking, drive 10-15 miles on highway at 60+mph, engine is hot, pull up to a stoplight and the rattle happens while idling, accelerate and once trans shifts to 2nd no more noticeable noise. Engine is not leaking or burning oil. I tried fuel additive but didn't seem to help. Premium gas does seem to reduce knocking, not completely. Thoughts anyone?
The 140 with powerglide trans is a gas guzzler. I think I'm getting about 19-20 mpg. Is that normal?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Corvair Forum mobile app

terribleted

Re: Valves Knocking at Idle

Post by terribleted »

Not normal. Is it really hot? Make sure oil cooler and top of engine not clogged with leave and debris. Timing may be too far advanced as another possibility. Poor fuel may also be the issue 140 especially PG needs premium fuel
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
gregpenn

Post by gregpenn »

Oil cooler and top are clean. I know the mechanic that replaced oil cooler rings for me also advanced the timing. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Corvair Forum mobile app

64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Better check the timing again.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
corvairsince70

Post by corvairsince70 »

Another reason a 140PG will ping at idle is the secondaries are not closed completely. This causes it to run very lean.
66corsaguy

Valves Knocking at Idle

Post by 66corsaguy »

I had problems with pinging. I was using premium gas and also add a 1/2 bottle of 102 but still had on occasion.
what got rid of my pinging permanently was my new re built carbs, balanced properly and timing set at 18 I don’t hear any ping anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Oh concerning fuel mileage I would call your mileage fairly normal and perhaps even good. I have had 110HP 2 carb PG cars that got around the same MPG.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”