summer/winter plate missing

All Models and Years
hugofant

summer/winter plate missing

Post by hugofant »

Hi,
on my 63 turbo the summer winter plate is missing on the left side. On the right side there's only a 14x8cm tin screwed down (with a sticker on it).

Is this really as it should be? On "California Corvairs" if found a pictures were it looks a bit more "complex".

...and at "Clarks" the part is not available and also not picture (part# CU3439).

best regards
Roman
64powerglide

Re: summer/winter plate missing

Post by 64powerglide »

I have owned 3 Corvair's in my 74 years. First was a new 62 Monza 102 HP 4 speed, no summer/winter plates. Second was a new 65 4 door 95 HP 3 speed, no summer/winter plates. Third is my 64 Monza coupe 110 HP powerglide, no summer/winter plates. None of them even had factory screw holes for plates. I have lived in Kalamazoo Mi. my whole life & know those cars were bought in Michigan. Never could figure out why those summer/winter plates were there in some cars. They all had a fixed openings & no matter the weather they were putting out heat within 5 minutes of starting in the winter. I can start my 64, back it out of the garage get out & close the garage door get back in & feel heat from the heater with no winter plates. Sounds like they were just a waste of time!!!!!
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
hugofant

Post by hugofant »

hmmm, decals says to remove for winter operation - so fix openings would mean, that they are in a permanent winter mode and also the risk for overheating in summer....or am i completely wrong now?

br
Roman
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

There is no risk for overheating in summer, it's another vent to increase air flow. Especially if a thermostat fails & the damper door doesn't open.
Last edited by 64powerglide on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
hugofant

Post by hugofant »

Hi again,
are you sure about that...because discussion here says the holes should be closed to avoid overheating

br
Roman
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I suppose if a little air were to be sucked in by the fan it could make a difference but I don't think it would be enough to make the engine overheat. Guess we need more opinions. If it were to be a problem then why did GM make some vents fixed like mine.
Attachments
Air vents.jpg
Vent.jpg

Kalamazoo, Mi..
jcannon44

Post by jcannon44 »

I’m not sure those are stock GM, never seen any that look like that.

Jeff Cannon, Smithfield, VA
1966 Corvair Monza Conv.
Jeff Cannon, Smithfield VA
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Sorry for the noob response - what is a summer/winter plate? I googled and see some pictures but no description of what this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kai Ponte - www.perfectreign.com

Image2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

Image 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

perfectreign wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:27 pm Sorry for the noob response - what is a summer/winter plate? I googled and see some pictures but no description of what this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parts used on Late model engines see Clark's catalog page 104 at the bottom of the page for photos and description. They mount below the oil cooler on top of the thermostat door unit (covering the opening there) and on some cars on the same location on the right thermostat door unit as well
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”