Suggestions stripped bolts oil pan

All Models and Years
66corsaguy

Re: Suggestions stripped bolts oil pan

Post by 66corsaguy »

terribleted wrote:
66vairguy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:07 pm I usually tighten the pan bolts by hand feel and use lock washers, but I use the thick gasket so a torque wrench isn't of any help because the torque is so minor. I just watch the gasket squeeze.
Indeed with a cork gasket I simply tighten until it just starts to move (squish out) at the edge of the pan by each bolt.
That’s what i did. I think probably based on your suggestion. Just til i saw it squish. But was still weaping. [emoji19]

But now i have a fun project and will be buying new cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

66corsaguy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:57 pm
terribleted wrote:
66vairguy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:07 pm I usually tighten the pan bolts by hand feel and use lock washers, but I use the thick gasket so a torque wrench isn't of any help because the torque is so minor. I just watch the gasket squeeze.
Indeed with a cork gasket I simply tighten until it just starts to move (squish out) at the edge of the pan by each bolt.
That’s what i did. I think probably based on your suggestion. Just til i saw it squish. But was still weaping. [emoji19]

Ahh but was the oil pan rail nice and flat or was it dimpled up from the previous install? :) It is hard to seal an oil pan that is not flat to begin with.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Sorry if you guys don’t agree, but I always use permeates number 2 on both sides of gasket on clean surfaces and never have leaks with cork gaskets on a straight pan or rocker cover gasket.

Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

terribleted wrote:
66corsaguy wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:57 pm
terribleted wrote: Indeed with a cork gasket I simply tighten until it just starts to move (squish out) at the edge of the pan by each bolt.

Ahh but was the oil pan rail nice and flat or was it dimpled up from the previous install? :) It is hard to seal an oil pan that is not flat to begin with.
Not entirely sure. I thought it was nice and flat but will need to check when i do Repair. I’m probably going to buy Clark’s pan and start fresh. It’s worth it

I just received my inch pound wrench and helicoils!!
Image1518115124.898356.jpg
Image1518115124.898356.jpg (66.98 KiB) Viewed 246 times

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I like Clark's ultimate oil pan. I have used a few over the years. In order to seal well I have used their recommended gasket with good success. The gasket surface on the bottom of the block must be SPOTLESS and not have any significant dings gouges or other un-flatness. I did use a thin application of sealant on one car that I had to get the Clark's pan to seal well (after a dry fit seeped a little). The others I installed dry. I have had little trouble with leaking of the factory steel oil pans as long as they are not too badly bent or corroded. I have always installed them dry using the cork type gasket.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”