Corsa dash question

All Models and Years
nmunn

Corsa dash question

Post by nmunn »

Hey folks need some guidance. I have the dash out of my 65 corsa for new gauges and a refinish.

My question is on the finish. Did the glovebox and glovebox trim panel have the same wrinkle finish as the driver instrument panel?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Re: Corsa dash question

Post by terribleted »

Yes
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

When painting, a key item to consider is humidity. If the humidity is more than about 30 percent, the paint will not dry properly, and in the case of wrinkle paint, wont wrinkle quite right. A humidity meter is available at most hardware stores for less than $10.00.

How do I know? Cause I did it wrong the first few times. After about the third try, you start to catch on.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

On the other forum the proper procedure for a good out come using VHT wrinkle paint has been worked out and used by many.

The real key is to keep the items cooler than about 80F (out of the sun) while applying the three coats (follow the instructions). THEN you apply heat after the third coat dries. Some use heat lamps, some use a heat blower (not too hot), and others just preheat the oven and let it cool to about 140F then in goes the part and in about five minutes the wrinkle is done (I've done this several times). Let the part cool slowly to cure the paint faster. Each coat requires two passes (per instructions) before you let it skim. If you put the paint on too thin the wrinkle will be very fine and uneven.

It's worth a can of paint to practice on something.

BTW - Do not paint in the late afternoon because as the paint dries the lowering dew point will cause micro drops of moisture to form on the cooler paint surface (evaporating paint cools the surface). This causes the paint to look dull and interferes with the wrinkle process.

One thing to note: The 1965 glove box bezel is aluminum (for the bright edge trim) and during 1966 model run the glove box surround was changed to stamped steel (less expensive) because it had no bright edge (all wrinkle). After all these years they get swapped around.

Good luck and go to the Covair Center forum and search for more information.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is a link to the "other forum"...

Confirmation:
VHT Black wrinkle paint is the exact match for a Corsa dash!

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 055,page=1
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

Awesome, I appreciate the detailed response. I had found the article on VHT technique and tested it using an electric oven for curing. Worked well. Just couldn’t find anything on how the glovebox was finished out. Thought having it consistent with the driver dash made sense.

nmunn

Post by nmunn »

I used dupi-color chrome to refinish the trim and the bezel surrounds. Turned out really good.

rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Been around Corvairs for 50 years. Preferring and collecting Corsas of both years. I’ve never seen a stamped steel glovebox surround.
Anyone out there in the Corvair world that can post a picture.

Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

rfw66 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:10 am Been around Corvairs for 50 years. Preferring and collecting Corsas of both years. I’ve never seen a stamped steel glovebox surround.
Anyone out there in the Corvair world that can post a picture.

Check the Corvair Center forum - others were doubtful, but it was confirmed a while back.

BTW - At the moment I have three glove box surrounds off 66 cars - one aluminum and two steel. Feel free to come to the SCC club meeting in Torrance Calif. and bring your magnet and I'll have someone bring a steel glove box surround.
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Didn’t say they didn’t exist, just that I’ve never seen one.
Coming to your club meeting would be a bit inconvenient from where I live. But I would love to visit some day. But for now a picture would be appreciated

Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

rfw66 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:03 am Didn’t say they didn’t exist, just that I’ve never seen one.
Coming to your club meeting would be a bit inconvenient from where I live. But I would love to visit some day. But for now a picture would be appreciated

All are painted on each side so they look the same, but the aluminum one is lighter. See pic of steel bezel held up by magnet wand. It's from a 66 A/C Monza built in LOS (West coast).
Attachments
glove box bezel steel.jpg
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

nmunn wrote:Hey folks need some guidance. I have the dash out of my 65 corsa for new gauges and a refinish.

My question is on the finish. Did the glovebox and glovebox trim panel have the same wrinkle finish as the driver instrument panel?

Thank you in advance.

Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Thanks 66vairguy! That is so awesome! They would certainly be easier to repair if damaged.
Thanks for the education. Well appreciated!

Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”