Roller rocker arm setup

All Models and Years
plmbcrzy

Roller rocker arm setup

Post by plmbcrzy »

I'm going to start installation of my roller rockers tomorrow. I've been watching video on YouTube. I comprehend setting the center line perpendicular to the valve stem. I have yet to figure out thread pitch I'm using Otto rocker studs. Where I'm getting confused is calculating half lift so I know how far to turn nut. Using an OT-10, look up specs online, intake Lift .413 Total 262. Which number do I use, do I use half of it, do I need to consider arm ratio? This is where I'm starting to get lost.

I have the pushrod geometry kit from Clark but no instructions I'm assuming there will be some calculation needed to compensate for the solid lifter used with the adjustable pushrod and the hydraulic being used and final assembly. Somebody knows exactly what I'm talking about please explain it's getting late I'm getting confused I've been doing too much research

I'm going to look again but I don't think there's a video yet related specifically to the Corvair hint hint

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

plmbcrzy

Re: Roller rocker arm setup

Post by plmbcrzy »

plmbcrzy wrote:I'm going to start installation of my roller rockers tomorrow. I've been watching video on YouTube. I comprehend setting the center line perpendicular to the valve stem. I have yet to figure out thread pitch I'm using Otto rocker studs. Where I'm getting confused is calculating half lift so I know how far to turn nut. Using an OT-10, look up specs online, intake Lift .413 Total 262. Which number do I use, do I use half of it, do I need to consider arm ratio? This is where I'm starting to get lost.

I have the pushrod geometry kit from Clark but no instructions I'm assuming there will be some calculation needed to compensate for the solid lifter used with the adjustable pushrod and the hydraulic being used and final assembly. Somebody knows exactly what I'm talking about please explain it's getting late I'm getting confused I've been doing too much research

I'm going to look again but I don't think there's a video yet related specifically to the Corvair hint hint

Took me a little power snooze and went back to YouTube. I found a great video.
Half of intake lift is .206
3/8-24 stud is .042/turn
So 4.9 turns intake and 5.2 exhaust

To my up lifter difference looks like I need to add .090 to my rod length. Got to double check that.

Although I think I found my own answer I'm still very grateful for this site thank you all who take the time to help answer our questions.

Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Maybe you're onto something different but last I knew you wanted to move the lifter plunger half way through it's travel after zero preload.
That is widely excepted to be 1 turn of the rocker arm nut. The amount of turns you're talking about will bottom the plunger out and hang a valve open.
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Some statements mention hydraulic lifters and some mention solid. Seems like lots of confusion here
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”