I need pointers on an embarrassing problem.

All Models and Years
Vamisk

I need pointers on an embarrassing problem.

Post by Vamisk »

I realize i'm something of an amateur but i'm wondering if there was any easy way to possibly extract a wingnut from the clutch area?

One day i was replacing the air cleaner lid and dropped the wingnut securing it down the fan which then flung it right at my clutch of all places.
Naturally it has been causing some mechanical interference. I'm just wondering if there's some way of accessing the clutch area without dropping the engine.
1961 110hp Monza coupe
Danny Joe

Re: I need pointers on an embarrassing problem.

Post by Danny Joe »

You can't get there from here! Anything dropped into the cooling fan cannot get into the clutch, not physically possible. The only mechanical interference would be with the fan itself, and that's not likely as a wing nut would have just been thrown off and sitting on top of the cylinders.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
Vamisk

Post by Vamisk »

I can hear the wingnut rattling around but if it's not the wingnut then perhaps i could have busted a finger off the pressure plate?
I'm getting intermittent squeals and grinding. I'm quite sure the clutch disc is in okay shape. It even grinds sometimes in neutral when the clutch pedal is depressed.
The grinding follows no pattern which is what concerns me, everything can be smooth until i go around a curve then every shift is rough as hell.
1961 110hp Monza coupe
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

You have described 2 separate problems.

1. A wing nut fell into the fan area. Likely solution involves taking the top cover off the fan, then find and remove the wing nut. If the fan is damaged, replace it.

2. Grinding noise when clutch pedal depressed. Likely solution here involves removing the engine, inspect the various parts of the clutch, throw out bearing and pressure plate. Replace worn out parts and reassemble.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Vamisk

Post by Vamisk »

I thought the two were related, I thought the clutch problems were a product of the missing wingnut. Thanks for your help.
1961 110hp Monza coupe
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

Also check the flywheel, originals are riveted and WILL loosen up d/t extended use. This can cause starter-related problems also (dragging, gears slipping).
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”