12MM Wheel Studs

All Models and Years
triumphcorvair

12MM Wheel Studs

Post by triumphcorvair »

I just received by Scarebird disc brake brackets to begin my conversion on my 65 140 Monza. I've done the search and read everything that I could find regarding this conversion. I found a lot of good information regarding part numbers on the calipers, rotors, MC, etc. The one part I could not find a consensus on was wheel studs. Due to the thickness of the disc brake rotors, longer wheel studs will have to be installed. In my information search I have found the 12mm wheel stud is the correct diameter that will match the GM (S10 4WD) rotor stud hole diameter. I know that in addition to having the hubs turned down to fit the rotors, the stud hole diameters will have to be enlarged to accept the 12mm studs.

Since 12mm studs are used on a number of different vehicles, does anyone have a part number for a 12mm stud that they have used for this conversion?
Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas
jetcat

Re: 12MM Wheel Studs

Post by jetcat »

I used ARP 1007708 12mm studs. Drill holes with 19/64" drill and ream to 0.500. Cut studs length to desired length. There long..... Press in. The picture is my rear hub but it is the same for the front.Image

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

jetcat

Post by jetcat »

jetcat wrote:I used ARP 1007708 12mm studs. Drill holes with 19/64" drill and ream to 0.500. Cut studs length to desired length. There long..... Press in. The picture is my rear hub but it is the same for the front.Image

Try pic again.Image

Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

I used ARP 1007708 12mm studs. Drill holes with 19/64" drill and ream to 0.500.

Are you sure on that drill size?
jetcat

Post by jetcat »

It is incorrect, I drill about 0.016" smaller than my reamer. 31/64" or maybe 15/32" will work. With a drill bit, I can never get it right on and the 1/2" dim is important for a good press fit.

triumphcorvair

Post by triumphcorvair »

Thanks for the responses and part numbers. My plan is to have the machine shop turn the hubs and install the studs. Hopefully they won't give me to much grief about it.
Not real big on having to cut the length down. I have seen a special tool that is used in a drill to "chamfer" the ends of the bolt to finish it.
Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”