Rear engine oil leak

All Models and Years
AZScott

Rear engine oil leak

Post by AZScott »

A question for the experts on the forum. I have a fresh engine rebuild on a ’64 Spyder. I am starting to break the engine in and so far everything appears OK, aside from a small oil leak that appears to be coming from the rear engine plate. That is the rear housing that has the generator bracket, distributor and oil pump. At this point it’s more of an annoyance and it appears more noticeable after a run so it may be coming for someplace there the oil is under pressure (this is an early guess). I am still tracking where the oil is coming from. Lots of places where there could be a leak, and I am also checking push rod tubes and other possible causes where oil could seep from. My question is, is it possible to remove the rear engine housing on an early model ’64, without pulling the engine from the car? With the studs on the back of the casing sticking out 4 ½ inches, I would like to understand if there is a way to tilt or position the engine to allow the rear housing to be removed. I am hoping it doesn’t come to that, but would like to know if it's possible and if anyone has successfully done that. Thanks
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
terribleted

Re: Rear engine oil leak

Post by terribleted »

It can be removed with the engine in the car, but, as you guessed you would have to lower the rear of the powertrain enough to get clearance for removal (a significant distance down but not undoable). If you decide to do this just make sure everything that would get flexed or pulled when lowering the engine is disconnected (ground straps, wiring, transmission and clutch cables or linkages, fuel lines ect.) You should also loosen the castle nuts on the transmission end mounts so as not to flex them too much. You should also remove generator fuel pump , distributor, and oil filter adapter before lowering as access will suck with it lowered.You will likely need to slide the axles out of the differential in order for the rear of the powerpack to get low enough. So in essence you are going to go through all the steps for powertrain removal except leaving it connected at the trans end mounts.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Check that oil pressure sending unit first.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

64powerglide wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:03 pm Check that oil pressure sending unit first.
Good plan that and make sure it is not simply the oil cap leaking.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

In the 50 plus years of working on Corvairs, one solution has worked every time. Don't put oil in them.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

LOL

AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks guys, appreciate the constructive comments. I hope I don't need to pull the rear housing. If I did, it sounds like since I would have to go through and disconnect everything anyway, as you stated terribleted, to go the extra step to pull it would not be a big deal. Plus with it out, level, and full access, there is a better chance to make sure it’s all put back correctly. Good to know, thanks again.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
corvairsince70

Post by corvairsince70 »

I have had similar problems with oil leaking into the skid plate. Main source of my leaks have been pressurized oil leaking past the oil pump idler shaft. Now on every engine I work on, I clean this area and seal it with either Permatex #2 or epoxy. You need to remove the pulley to get good access. This can be done with engine in the car. Area must be very clean for sealers to stick. You can do this neatly and it cannot be seen with engine back together.
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

64powerglide wrote:Check that oil pressure sending unit first.
I have a leak also in same location i had no idea the oil pressure sending unit can leak!! If mine is leaking do i need a new unit or just a o ring?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

They sure can, all you do is replace if you find that's the problem. I would check that first before taking things apart. I bought a new 62 Monza and the sending unit sprung a pinhole leak before it was 6 months old. Clean it up good & wrap a clean rag around it & see if you get any oil there. It would be nice if that's it but if you're like me it's usually something that's a pain in the butt.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”