quick bleeders

All Models and Years
toadboy65

quick bleeders

Post by toadboy65 »

After struggling all day to properly bleed the brakes in my 1966 convertible, I have been considering some of those one-way speed bleeders. Has anyone used these, and is there a preferred brand? Also, it would be helpful to know the thread sizes. I really don't want to pull those bleeders to thread check them.
Thanks in advance- Toad
Jerry Whitt

Re: quick bleeders

Post by Jerry Whitt »

There are two basic styles. One is a high pressure device that is used through the top of the master cylinder. It uses high air pressure to push fluid through the system. This system involves a tank with rubber diaphragm and fluid above the diaphragm that is pressured through the bottom of the tank. Usually cost is quite a bit more than the hand held device.

The second is a hand held vacuum device that lowers pressure at the wheel cylinder and then allows atomospheric pressure push the fluid through the system.

Both systems work well. The hand held device can be purchased at most auto parts stores, $30 to $ 40.

Using the hand held, (or the high pressure), start at the wheel furthest from the master cylinder. Most Corvair vehicles this will be the passenger side rear.Raise the vehicle to a comfortable working height. Check the master cylinder to make sure it is full. The Master cylinder lid should be lying on the top of the master, but not latched. Attach the hose from the hand held device to the bleed screw. Loosen the screw about 1 turn. Pump the handle of the device. Fluid will gather in the attached clear cup. Pump several times, until no air bubbles are seen coming into the clear cup. Go check the master again to be sure it is still full.

Now move to the next furthest wheel from the master cylinder. Usually this is the drivers side rear wheel. Pump again until no bubbles are seen in the plastic cup. Once again, check fluid level in master cylinder, and add as needed.

Now the passenger side front wheel. Same process. Check fluid level in master cylinder again.

Finally, move to the drivers side front wheel and repeat the now familiar process. Once again, check the fluid level. When done, latch the master cylinder lid.

Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

I've used speed bleeders but didn't feel it was that much easier than just placing a hose on the stock bleeder tip and letting the fluid drain into a bottle to flush the system. When I bleed brakes, I don't pump the pedal like a mad man so I usually don't have an issue pulling air back into the wheel cylinder while the bleeder screw is loosened.

I use a helper to bleed. When no one is around I have adapted an air cylinder to simulate someone pressing the gas, brake or clutch while I am under the car. Video below show me working on a clutch issue using my pneumatic helper.

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

I tried the speed bleeders which Clark's sells. They were expensive and not worth it. One of them was defective and I ended up with brake fluid all over the floor - made a mess !!! I still have 4 of them if you want them. I went back to a $7 bleeder - basically a container with a magnet to hold it in place and a hose to connect to the bleeder valve. Worked just fine. You could even make one but for the price I'm not sure it's worth the effort...

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Jerry was referring to "Power Bleeders" which are not the speed bleeders others posted.

I've installed all new brake parts, including new lines in four vehicle and with a "dry" system the ol' pumping the pedal is NOT going to work. You have to flow fluid long enough to move air out of the high spots (one pedal pump just moves the air a little, you stop and the air goes back to the high spot).

I did use the MC pressure units, until I had one blow out the rear seal of a new MC - WHAT A MESS inside the car. If you use this type I would NOT exceed 5PSI.

Now I use a vacuum unit moved to each wheel cylinder, but the bleeder valves tend to allow in air where the hose goes on so the stream always shows air bubbles. You need a reservoir refill bottle sitting in the MC to make sure you don't run it dry.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I just let gravity do the work, open the bleeder, put a clear vinyl hose on the bleeder & put the hose in a jar. Keep the master cylinder full, when the bubbles stop coming close the bleeder & move on to the next one. If you don't think it will work just ask the guy coming at my in a 4WD pickup & made a left turn in front of me. I didn't think a Corvair could stop that fast!!!!!!! :eek:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
toadboy65

Post by toadboy65 »

Thank you all for the detailed advice. One of my issues has been doing the work solo, which has been pretty frustrating for me. The convertible had been parked for a decade or so, and I have gotten a bunch of air out of the system. But it does seem like I can get maybe 90% bled, then some fumble with the wrench or hose sets me back.
I don't remember it being so much trouble when I was 20.
T

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”