Condensation in Pcv?

All Models and Years
Vamisk

Condensation in Pcv?

Post by Vamisk »

This would make more sense if this was a water cooled car. The oil in the dipstick is clean however the area around the dipstick is quite wet leading me to believe this "milk" is also clogging the pcv.
20171218_142611.jpg
1961 110hp Monza coupe
plmbcrzy

Re: Condensation in Pcv?

Post by plmbcrzy »

Water would make sense. Weather and condensation, sabotage perhaps lol. I'll be curious to know what you find.

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

What your seeing is normal in a car that is driven for short periods around town because the engine is not coming up to normal temperature and "cooking" off the moisture (combustion creates water). Also it's common for folks to leave off the thermostat parts (doors open, doors missing, lower shrouds removed) that prevent the engine from getting up to normal temperature unless it's run for awhile at higher speeds under load (highway) and that's during warmer summer weather. In Winter it's going to take a longer trip.

Change the oil, then take the car on the highway for a good 20 minute run to heat up the engine and get rid any remaining condensation.

This is why I make sure my thermostat components are there and WORK. I also take the car out for a highway run between shorter around town trips.

BTW - regardless of how well you take car of the engine, the PCV system should be inspected and cleaned as needed every 12,000 miles per the old Vair manual.
Vamisk

Post by Vamisk »

Thanks, that's what I suspected, I used compressed air to blow out the PCV down to the carbs and it's already running better. I took it to work today which is 40 miles one way.
1961 110hp Monza coupe
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

This sort of post always pops up this time of year, the colder weather makes it harder to build up enough oil temperature to evaporate the condensation that’s all.
Click it!
Vamisk

Post by Vamisk »

I'd like to come back and say it was about 62 degrees today (rainy). I put the hammer down and my PCV isn't foaming. I guess i was paranoid for nothing.
1961 110hp Monza coupe

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”