Fuel Pressure Regulator

All Models and Years
KiltedPhoenix

Fuel Pressure Regulator

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

Which way do I turn the set screw to allow more fuel pressure to the heater?Image

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

spyderman64

Re: Fuel Pressure Regulator

Post by spyderman64 »

Clockwise increases pressure, counterclockwise reduces it.
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

The set up on these is counter intuitive, your fuel pump is producing 5 psi, that is all that you are going to get. If you turn down on the screw, cw, you will get less fuel because the 5 psi will have more difficulty lifting the ball off the seat. If you turn ccw, it will be easier for the pressure to lift the ball off the seat and more will flow to the heater.
spyderman64

Post by spyderman64 »

I don't know how much VOLUME a gas heater needs, but I do know that it needs 4.5 to 5 pounds of fuel PRESSURE to work correctly. A stock fuel pump in good condition will provide more than adequate pressure. (That's why the heaters worked when the cars were new.) If the fuel pump is working adequately you can increase pressure into the heater by turning the regulator screw clockwise. The CORSA Tech Guide has a very good write-up about this.
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

I just realized I was thinking a$$ backwards...... The flow through the ball (actually it is a disk) is the return to the tank, not the feed to the heater. It has been about 8 years since I set mine with a gage, but it is a pain in the butt since you have to assemble and take apart each time. I made a test rig with a electric pump to set the pressure out of the car. SO IGNORE what I posted above, sorry.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”