Remote oil cooler help

All Models and Years
vairguy63

Remote oil cooler help

Post by vairguy63 »

Appreciate any advice/pics on routing cooler lines so I can change fan belts without removing. Also any advice on connectors and type/size of lines to use. I have this cooler adapter. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Remote oil cooler help

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: With your chosen adaptor configuration, changing a belt would require removal of the oil filter adaptor or disconnecting the remote oil cooler lines, I think.
ImageImage
The oil hoses as they attach to the oil line adapter. The flow of oil exits the case from the lower port, flows directly to the oil filter, then through the oil cooler and returns to the engine in the upper port.
:link: http://www.flykr2s.com/oil.html

Removing the existing oil cooler to connect at that point with remote oil lines allows for changing the fan belt, but would such a modification be a good alternative when you only have to change a belt infrequently? This would also likely require a large-capacity remote oil cooler to make up for the loss of the standard oil cooler, and a sheet metal modification to keep hot air from returning to the engine compartment. Such a change makes sense in a aircraft, but for a street engine?

:idea: A well-designed and efficient aluminum oil pan (and possibly matching valve covers) might provide all of the additional oil cooling you might want, without the added complexity of a remote oil cooler. For a hard-working street engine in a hot climate (as opposed to a road racing engine) the oil pan cooling coupled with high quality synthetic oil (with better heat tolerance) might allow you to eliminate the use of a remote oil cooler altogether.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... age=OTTO-1
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

Thanks Brad! I'll look into the finned pan.

I was thinking I could remove the existing hose barbs and use steel lines (or smaller diameter PTFE? lines) to rout back towards the fuel pump, behind the alternator, and then around the carbs to the transaxle/transmission compartment. I would like to do this without penetrating the firewall with new holes and maybe go through the "Air" passage that would've connected to the blower in that compartment behind the firewall? Sorry, but not sure of what some of these things are called. Thoughts? I'm sure someone has done something similar...
vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

Here's what I've got after much tinkering and several failed attempts at bending steel tubing to make the proper configuration:)

I've got compression fittings out of the oil cooler adapter going to ⅜" steel tubing. The tubing hugs around and underneath the fuel pump/lines then around the fan toward the firewall. I used AN8 stainless wrapped oil line to connect through the firewall at the existing hole for the heater fan/exchanger so as not to make any new holes in the firewall. I figured this was a good spot to go to the rubber lines so the ext oil cooler didn't take any vibration from the steel lines.
I haven't got the rest put together yet to fire her up and test but appreciate any input from here. I routed this way so I could change belts without messing with it. Original oil cooler still in place and functional. Thanks.
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

That’s one way to do it!
Click it!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”