Remote oil cooler for Greenbrier

All Models and Years
vairguy63

Remote oil cooler for Greenbrier

Post by vairguy63 »

I'm on my 3rd Greenbrier and doing this one "nut and bolt". Wished I had joined the forum earlier so I could've got some help and showed progress along the way :)

I've noticed that they all run a bit hot and heard I could extend engine life by dropping the temp... so here's my possible solution for a remote oil cooler. Let me know any problems with this you see before I proceed!

I've got this cool adapter for a remote cooler but the way the lines were run to the cooler before (behind the battery) you would not be able to change the fan belt without removing the oil lines.

Since it gets hot out here in SoCal I thought the cooler would get better fresh air flow here in front of the firewall. I removed the air blower as I've never used it with my other 2 Greenbriers. I also wired a switch that's driver accessible to turn on/off the fan- or could possibly use the wire from the fan switch?

I'm planning on running 3/8" steel lines from the adapter- under the alternator- across and over the shroud on the right side and thru the firewall (with rubber grommets) to the cooler. Here's pics of the adapter and cooler temporarily mounted in place.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
66vairguy

Re: Remote oil cooler for Greenbrier

Post by 66vairguy »

What makes you say "They all run a bit hot".

I've never heard of a problem with Greenbrier engines running hot.
vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

Not talking about corvair engines in general... just my experience in my vans in 90+ heat we have regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
dave t

Post by dave t »

If you want to operate your fan with an oil pressure switch, Get a PS122 (Duralast) switch from auto zone. Standard motor parts also makes one but i don't know the part number. It has a terminal that goes to ground with no oil pressure for the dash light and a contact closure pair of terminals that connect with oil pressure. You can use that to operate a relay for your cooling fan. I have also used the same switch for a safety cutoff for an electric fuel pump. It is about the same size as the stock switch but has 3 terminals. I test them by connecting it to a an air hose and use an ohm meter when I apply about 50 to 60 lbs of pressure. I can post a schematic if you need one.

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”