temporary wheels

All Models and Years
Jim in Wis.

temporary wheels

Post by Jim in Wis. »

My friend and I are working on his 65 Monza and would like to find some wheels and tires to put on while it is sent out for body work. Does anyone know of any fairly modern wheels that would fit and could be found in a junk yard? I'm afraid if I ask some young kid working at a junk yard about what wheels would fit on a Corvair, he'll say "what's a Corvair?"
These only have to be good enough for a push around car, the motor is out and the present wheels have tires that are so wide they rub on the fenders and make it to hard to move the car. Thanks
Jim S.
terribleted

Re: temporary wheels

Post by terribleted »

Same bolt pattern as most Camaro and s10 pickup among many other mid size GM 5 on 4 3/4" . Larger diameter space saver spare are great for this as they allow better access in the wheel wells. No engine is fine but, you will have an issue moving it around with no transaxle as the rear suspension does not behave well with no powertrain. If you leave the transaxle in the car be careful how you support it up, tying to the air intake will result in damage. Best is transaxle with engine case installed to keep things in place. You can improve things some by fashioning a bar to link the right and left lower control arms together at the lower shock mounting spots then the car will at least kind of stand up instead of falling on its belly with no transaxle in place. Building and attaching some sort of X brace to keep the wheel straight up and down is better still.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jim in Wis.

Post by Jim in Wis. »

Thanks Ted, - yup I already noticed the problem with the rear wheels. We have the entire power unit out and I made a link to hold the control rods together at the right distance. That helped, but it still sagged down and let the rear tires hit on the springs and shocks. Having tires that are too wide doesn't help in the least. I tied the link up with some cloths line, but there is more pressure than I realized, the junky rope keeps stretching.
Pushing that car around now is a good way to get some exercise and use some naughty words.
- the space saver wheels and tires is a real good idea -
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

2" x 4" with a notch in the ends cut to length above the axle yokes.
1" to 1 1/2" nylon ratchet strap hooked below axle yokes. Tighten to desired camber.
Enjoy
Jim in Wis.

Post by Jim in Wis. »

Wagon Master - at first I didn't understand what you meant, but I do now. That sounds like a darn good way to get it rolling better. Putting the doggone power unit back in would ok too - I wish we had one to use!
I moved the car to the un-heated part of the shop now, and it'll probably be there until spring.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”