Windshield fitment issues

All Models and Years
vairguy63

Windshield fitment issues

Post by vairguy63 »

I recently got a new windshield and gasket from Clarks for my '63 Greenbrier :) found a great YouTube video featuring Dave and the guys in Ventura club on how to install. Everything went to plan but there's a small gap in the lower drivers corner where the windshield is not in the gasket. Also the gasket doesn't seem fully seated (I can push on it from the outside and it moves about 1/4 to 3/8" in towards the inside of the van and springs back) but stays in place and looks all seated from the inside. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Re: Windshield fitment issues

Post by terribleted »

I have seen fitment issues where the rubber meets the body in the corners, but, never where the glass gapped to the weatherstrip. I would guess that you have a faulty windshield.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

terribleted wrote:I have seen fitment issues where the rubber meets the body in the corners, but, never where the glass gapped to the weatherstrip. I would guess that you have a faulty windshield.
Thanks for your reply. It was from Clarks so don't know where to get another one or what to do next. I already returned one I got on eBay that was the wrong size- though priced a lot better.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Is this problem on both sides? You might be able to get a usable fit by shifting the glass toward this this side if only on the one side. If it gaps on both side this would not help. If the glass is from Clark's I would expect it to be the best fit there is, but, it is possible you got a bad one. The other possibility is that the truck is somehow distorted across the base of the windshield. Was there any evidence of damage or repair in this area? I would call Clark's and discuss the issue with them if I saw no other possible reason for this issue.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

terribleted wrote:Is this problem on both sides? You might be able to get a usable fit by shifting the glass toward this this side if only on the one side. If it gaps on both side this would not help. If the glass is from Clark's I would expect it to be the best fit there is, but, it is possible you got a bad one. The other possibility is that the truck is somehow distorted across the base of the windshield. Was there any evidence of damage or repair in this area? I would call Clark's and discuss the issue with them if I saw no other possible reason for this issue.
No damage. This was a clean dry survivor from AZ with a bad repaint when I got her :)

The glass is completely seated in the gasket on the passenger side- so it may work to shift the glass as you said. Any suggestions on how to do this safely?

I put glycerin in all the gasket-to-glass and gasket-to-window pinch weld before installing so it would slip into place easier as the video instructed. Thanks!

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You could try glass holding suction cups on the inside and outside and pulling sideways. if this did not work you would need to remove the assembly and re-install it making sure to have the glass totally centered (or perhaps a little to the gap side). The real problem is removal without cutting the gasket and without breaking the glass. Best way would be to cut the gasket and try re-install with a new gasket unfortunately. If it was me I would try first to pull it with glass cups and then if unsuccessful cut the gasket and remove the glass and then before trying re-install I would measure across the gapped area and call Clark's to see it they can provide any assistance like measurement in the same spot to see if the glass was somehow manufactured incorrectly.

64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

It's like the whole windshield needs to be turned counter clockwise. To high in the top right. You should have seen that gap when you first set the bottom in.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

64powerglide wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:10 pm It's like the whole windshield needs to be turned counter clockwise. To high in the top right. You should have seen that gap when you first set the bottom in.
This is possible. If it is not centered both ways when installed you could get a gap. These are not an easy install that's for sure. I am also not so sure the replacement windshields are all that great either. My glass man has done a couple of these in the last couple years and they seem to vary some.

vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

terribleted wrote:You could try glass holding suction cups on the inside and outside and pulling sideways. if this did not work you would need to remove the assembly and re-install it making sure to have the glass totally centered (or perhaps a little to the gap side). The real problem is removal without cutting the gasket and without breaking the glass. Best way would be to cut the gasket and try re-install with a new gasket unfortunately. If it was me I would try first to pull it with glass cups and then if unsuccessful cut the gasket and remove the glass and then before trying re-install I would measure across the gapped area and call Clark's to see it they can provide any assistance like measurement in the same spot to see if the glass was somehow manufactured incorrectly.
The gap was much greater after installing but with some sideways pressure (4 other hands) and flat-palm pounding it shifted to where it is now. I just don't want to crack the glass trying to shift it further but suction cups may be the perfect tool! Thanks :)

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”