FC wiring help

All Models and Years
vairguy63

FC wiring help

Post by vairguy63 »

I've got the replacement dash, headlight and body harness for my '63 greenbrier from Clarks and mostly good on the install... with a few headscratchers. Please help if you can.
1. Can't seem to get an 1157 bulb to twist into the pass side turn signal. Drivers side no problem??
2. Headlights work - but both outside lights + the pass side high beam are on in regular position, and when I hit the high beam switch, the pass side high beam light goes out and the driver side high beam goes on. Both outside driving lights stay on in both positions. I've tried reversing polarity of the high beam bulbs by plugging in the 2 prong wire both ways on each high beam bulb and no difference??
3. What do I do with the blue (9" or so long) wire with female plug end coming out of the top of the fuse block? It looks like it should plug onto one of the jumpers on the right side of the fuse block- but which one if any? Will this fix my headlight issue? Only asking because the headlight harness wires are the same color blue.

Sorry if these questions seem silly but I've looked at all the wiring schematics I can find and can't figure these out.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: FC wiring help

Post by bbodie52 »

vairguy63 wrote:Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:03 am

...Can't seem to get an 1157 bulb to twist into the pass side turn signal. Drivers side no problem...
There is a high/low arrangement on 1157 bulbs and sockets. Is it possible that you were trying to insert the passenger side bulb with the pin positions reversed?

1156 bulbs only belong in the backup light sockets. The two locking pins n the 1157 bulb are positioned at different heights on the side of the bayonet base/lamp socket, to ensure that they are properly inserted.

vairguy63 wrote:Headlights work - but both outside lights + the pass side high beam are on in regular position, and when I hit the high beam switch, the pass side high beam light goes out and the driver side high beam goes on. Both outside driving lights stay on in both positions. I've tried reversing polarity of the high beam bulbs by plugging in the 2 prong wire both ways on each high beam bulb and no difference??
Although it should not impact the actual wiring on the Corvair van, I did notice an error in the 1962 and 1963 FC schematic for the front of the vehicle, which I corrected in the diagrams below. The original shop manual diagram shows the wire labeled "18 T" coming from the dimmer switch and then tied to the harness wiring labeled "16 LG", which is intended to be for the high beams and is shown as wired to the HIGH-BEAM INDICATOR LAMP in the instrument panel. (The "18 T" wiring is associated with the low beam circuit, while the "16 LG" wiring is associated with the high beams). I modified the corrected schematics to change this inconsistency to reflect the same color code all the way from the dimmer switch to the bulbs and to the instrument panel.

It is hard to imagine the dimmer switch being faulty in a way that would reverse your right and left wiring. I would suggest tracing the 18 T (18 Gauge Tan) and 16 LG (16 Gauge Light Green) wiring in your van wiring harness to see if you can determine where the reversal is taking place. Both side high beam activation should correspond to the high beam indication on the instrument panel, which is wired to the harness on the right side, according to the schematic. (Dimmer Switch wiring: 14 LBL is the power feed to the headlights from the main light switch. 18 T continues the power feed to the low beams on both sides, while 16 LG continues the power feed to the high beams on both sides and the High Beam Indicator Lamp in the instrument panel, when activated by the Dimmer Switch).

If you wish to test the Dimmer Switch internal connectivity using an ohmmeter, with the switch connector unplugged, the input terminal should always show connectivity to the low beam output — regardless of the switch position — but the input terminal should only show connectivity to the high beam output in one switch position (high beams), and should disconnect that terminal in the low beam setting.

1963 Corvair 95 — Front & Dash
1963 Corvair 95 — Front & Dash
1963 Corvair 95 — Front & Dash (Corrected)
1963 Corvair 95 — Front & Dash (Corrected)
1963 Corvair 95 — Instrument Panel & Body (Corrected)
1963 Corvair 95 — Instrument Panel & Body (Corrected)
1963 Corvair 95 — Engine & Tail Lights
1963 Corvair 95 — Engine & Tail Lights
1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic
1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic

1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic (Corrected)
1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic (Corrected)
CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

I'm not sure about the blue wire plug termination or purpose. Perhaps someone who actually owns a 1963 Greenbrier could take a look under the dash of their vehicle to see if they have a similar connection and what it is used for. Or you might call or Email the supplier and ask them.
Attachments
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems.pdf
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems
(2 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

While not ruling out a possible wiring error, first I would check the headlamp bucket grounds. You will get some weird lighting problems if the front headlamps or running lamps are not properly grounded. Not an uncommon problem with the FC and EM cars. Also make sure the tail lamps are grounded.
vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

66vairguy wrote:While not ruling out a possible wiring error, first I would check the headlamp bucket grounds. You will get some weird lighting problems if the front headlamps or running lamps are not properly grounded. Not an uncommon problem with the FC and EM cars. Also make sure the tail lamps are grounded.
Headlight bucket and tail light grounds are good. Thanks!

vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

bbodie52 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:53 am
vairguy63 wrote:Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:03 am

...Can't seem to get an 1157 bulb to twist into the pass side turn signal. Drivers side no problem...
There is a high/low arrangement on 1157 bulbs and sockets. Is it possible that you were trying to insert the passenger side bulb with the pin positions reversed?

1156 bulbs only belong in the backup light sockets. The two locking pins n the 1157 bulb are positioned at different heights on the side of the bayonet base/lamp socket, to ensure that they are properly inserted.

vairguy63 wrote:Headlights work - but both outside lights + the pass side high beam are on in regular position, and when I hit the high beam switch, the pass side high beam light goes out and the driver side high beam goes on. Both outside driving lights stay on in both positions. I've tried reversing polarity of the high beam bulbs by plugging in the 2 prong wire both ways on each high beam bulb and no difference??
Although it should not impact the actual wiring on the Corvair van, I did notice an error in the 1962 and 1963 FC schematic for the front of the vehicle, which I corrected in the diagrams below. The original shop manual diagram shows the wire labeled "18 T" coming from the dimmer switch and then tied to the harness wiring labeled "16 LG", which is intended to be for the high beams and is shown as wired to the HIGH-BEAM INDICATOR LAMP in the instrument panel. (The "18 T" wiring is associated with the low beam circuit, while the "16 LG" wiring is associated with the high beams). I modified the corrected schematics to change this inconsistency to reflect the same color code all the way from the dimmer switch to the bulbs and to the instrument panel.

It is hard to imagine the dimmer switch being faulty in a way that would reverse your right and left wiring. I would suggest tracing the 18 T (18 Gauge Tan) and 16 LG (16 Gauge Light Green) wiring in your van wiring harness to see if you can determine where the reversal is taking place. Both side high beam activation should correspond to the high beam indication on the instrument panel, which is wired to the harness on the right side, according to the schematic. (Dimmer Switch wiring: 14 LBL is the power feed to the headlights from the main light switch. 18 T continues the power feed to the low beams on both sides, while 16 LG continues the power feed to the high beams on both sides and the High Beam Indicator Lamp in the instrument panel, when activated by the Dimmer Switch).

If you wish to test the Dimmer Switch internal connectivity using an ohmmeter, with the switch connector unplugged, the input terminal should always show connectivity to the low beam output — regardless of the switch position — but the input terminal should only show connectivity to the high beam output in one switch position (high beams), and should disconnect that terminal in the low beam setting.

1963 Corvair 95 — Front & Dash.jpg1963 Corvair 95 — Front & Dash (Corrected).jpg1963 Corvair 95 — Instrument Panel & Body (Corrected).jpg1963 Corvair 95 — Engine & Tail Lights.jpg

1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic.jpg

1962 Corvair 95 Full Schematic (Corrected).jpg

CORVAIR COMBINED WIRING SCHEMATIC DIAGRAMS

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

I'm not sure about the blue wire plug termination or purpose. Perhaps someone who actually owns a 1963 Greenbrier could take a look under the dash of their vehicle to see if they have a similar connection and what it is used for. Or you might call or Email the supplier and ask them.
Thanks Brad! I did notice the 1157 pins and have tried both ways but it's just stuck and won't twist in. The contacts at the base of the turn indicator socket seem to be very sharp edged so I used some electrical grease to try and get it to slip past and twist in- but no luck. I will contact Clarks to see what they say.

Appreciate all the Schematics and the time you took to check these all out. There's only one way to insert the Tan/Green plug from the dash harness to the headlight harness so not sure what I can do to correct it. Also there's no room in the length of wires in the harness to cut and put on new connectors so? Also tested the dimmer and it seems to work fine. Frustrating and I wish I knew more about electrical systems to be able to figure this out in my head :)

Hoping someone will know what to do with that Blue wire!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Is there any physical difference you can see between the left an right sockets in the new wiring harness? A bent or damaged connector, or a burr in the slot that won't let the 1157 bulb rotate? If the socket is faulty perhaps they can send a replacement socket from the catalog page below...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=99
vairguy63 wrote:...There's only one way to insert the Tan/Green plug from the dash harness to the headlight harness so not sure what I can do to correct it. Also there's no room in the length of wires in the harness to cut and put on new connectors so?
:dontknow: Does that mean that you can see a wiring harness error in the harness, but you cannot figure out how to correct it? Do you see a pair of wires that connect incorrectly to the other harness, and would appear to be causing the headlight operation error? If so, you have another issue to discuss with Clark's about the new harness.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

bbodie52 wrote:Is there any physical difference you can see between the left an right sockets in the new wiring harness? A bent or damaged connector, or a burr in the slot that won't let the 1157 bulb rotate? If the socket is faulty perhaps they can send a replacement socket from the catalog page below...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=99
vairguy63 wrote:...There's only one way to insert the Tan/Green plug from the dash harness to the headlight harness so not sure what I can do to correct it. Also there's no room in the length of wires in the harness to cut and put on new connectors so?
:dontknow: Does that mean that you can see a wiring harness error in the harness, but you cannot figure out how to correct it? Do you see a pair of wires that connect incorrectly to the other harness, and would appear to be causing the headlight operation error? If so, you have another issue to discuss with Clark's about the new harness.
I haven't found an error in the harness yet but still looking thru your schematics and comparing.

There might be a burr or deformity or something because the 1157 gets jammed in the socket when I try and press in to rotate into place. I'll talk to Clarks. Thanks!

SteveInMarietta

Post by SteveInMarietta »

Were your headlight directional sockets rebuilt? If so, see socket issue described a ways down this page
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 81,page=17
Steve
vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

SteveInMarietta wrote:Were your headlight directional sockets rebuilt? If so, see socket issue described a ways down this page
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 81,page=17
Steve
Yes they were. Thanks for finding this and sharing Steve. That is exactly the problem I'm having. I'll be calling Clarks tomorrow!

vairguy63

Post by vairguy63 »

Just talked to Clark's an Mark said they would look into the turn indicator sockets. They're sending new headlamp harness and hopefully that will fix the issue on those. Hope I get replacements soon so I can get the bezels on!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”