Engine sound and smoking

All Models and Years
62'Brier

Engine sound and smoking

Post by 62'Brier »

Hi,

I have a Corvan with a recently (last summer) installed 110 overhauled engine. I have driven it quite a bit, from his shop in Santa Clara CA to Modesto where i live and around town for small trips.
He said there would be a break in period and to take it easy for about 500 miles then go for tune up.
I have been doing that. Changed a belt, kept the oil at good level.
One time I stepped on the gas and all of a sudden it was louder when I checked at home the muffler popped off? I've been driving it like that cause I like the aggressive sound.

Tonight I was driving it and it started making a different louder sound and a smell. Pulled over and checked the belt was fine. Then I decided since I didn't have my phone to start it and try driving it several miles home. Still made the sound but then I saw smoke. I'm now waiting for AAA to tow it home.

I've got a lot to learn.

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 using Corvair Forum mobile app

Have a nice day...
Jerry Whitt

Re: Engine sound and smoking

Post by Jerry Whitt »

What color is the smoke? From where was the smoke emitting?
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

What type of transmission?

If an automatic and the smoke is white --- could be leaking modulator valve.

Other than that I'd have an experienced Corvair person look at it.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Hey 66 he said in another post it was a 3 speed. Might be big trouble if it's exhaust smoke.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

64powerglide wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:15 pm Hey 66 he said in another post it was a 3 speed. Might be big trouble if it's exhaust smoke.
Thanks 64 - He also mentioned the muffler fell off! The muffler just doesn't quiet things down, it routes fumes and heat away from under the vehicle. Not very safe driving a vehicle with no muffler - carbon monoxide poisoning comes to mind.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

An open exhaust can also cause an engine to run leaner than it otherwise would, so if it was already sort of lean burned valves may be the result. Hope that’s not it, but I’ve seen it before.
Click it!
62'Brier

Post by 62'Brier »

Good thoughtful replies. The smoke was dark I think. The tow truck driver sniffed the oil from the dipstick and thought it smelled like gas.

Have a nice day...
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

That still doesn't tell us where the smoke was coming from.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Dark colored smoke, if coming from the exhaust, indicates excess fuel. The other sound you hear could be almost anything. This is where you are now the prime investigator and must use your vision and ears to help identify what the specifics are. Put the muffler back on the car and let know what you are seeing and hearing.
Jerry Whitt
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
62'Brier

Post by 62'Brier »

Thanks all you guys. The tow guy said it could be a ring. I don't know a whole lot about engines but am enjoying learning.
Another thing I didn't mention was it sounds normal at idle but when you hit throttle it has the louder sound.
I called my mechanic and he says he doesn't think it's anything too big but I imagine it will still require a tear down to get to it.

I'll post on here what comes of it when I get there and if it's resolved.

Have a nice day...
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

A damaged ring does not make noise.
Jerry Whitt
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
62'Brier

Engine sound and smoking

Post by 62'Brier »

Update from couple months ago: took her to MEL's and he checked it out. Had a cracked piston right where the noise was. Had to pay for that fix. I was the one driving around with no muffler. Put it back on.

Now I have electrical problem - it has always taken a little while when I turn the ignition to fire up. Well I was driving it in town stopped somewhere, went to leave and when I turned the ignition NOTHING. Lights wouldn't even turn on. I called AAA and a electric guy used his jump box and it started right up, faster than without the jumper box. Says the volts measured on battery was overcharging so he thinks generator.
Haven't done it yet, but Mel says to get it started again and then take a terminal cable off and if it dies then replace the generator/regulator. Is this how to diagnose?

Thanks, and looks like it's leaking oil now. Maybe because the exhaust was so close to the seals...

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
Have a nice day...

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”