killfront

Re: Best way to change a belt

Post by killfront »

Here is a pic of the dash and which lights I mean Image

Sent from my [device_name] using Corvair Forum mobile app

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

There are only 3 lights there by the way, a Gen/Fan light, brake indicator, and Temp/Press light. I have recently seen this symptom of these lights lighting when they should not and bad dash ground was the culprit. Try solidly grounding the ground strap unit in the back of the instrument cluster and see if it helps.
Last edited by terribleted on Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

In the Monza instrument panel, the fuel gauge, instrument illumination lights, turn signal indicator lights, and the high beam indicator light all rely on chassis ground for a ground return path. As shown in the illustration below, there is a single ground strap that provides a ground for all of these components in the instrument panel (necessary because the instrument panel itself is made of non-conductive plastic). This ground strap is secured to the dashboard metal frame (chassis ground) by a single screw. If that screw is loose, missing or corroded your entire instrument panel may not be properly grounded, which can cause the fuel gauge and panel lights to malfunction or to only function intermittently. (Only the two engine warning lights are not dependent on an instrument panel ground).

YOUR CAR IS A 1968 WITH A DUAL BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER AND A BRAKE WARNING LIGHT IN THE CENTER POSITION (BETWEEN THE GEN/FAN AND PRES/TEMP WARNING LIGHTS. (The earlier 1965-66 cars did not have the dual master cylinder or the brake warning light).

All three warning lights receive power from the ignition switch when it is in the ON position. The GEN/FAN and TEMP/PRES lights illuminate as a lamp test and the engine is not running, with a GROUND path provided by the oil pressure warning switch and the voltage regulator when the engine is not running. The BRAKE lamp should only illuminate if there is a fault in the master cylinder. None of these warning lights receive a GROUND via the instrument cluster ground strap. There may be a problem with the ignition switch, if power is being applied to all three warning lamps when the key is OFF.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”