Horsepower of Corvair

All Models and Years
lalkie

Horsepower of Corvair

Post by lalkie »

I questioned the HP of my 65 Corsa and found a formula for HP. You multiply the torque (160) by the speed of the engine (3600) and divide that product by 5252. This puts my Corsa at 109.67. A 110 Corvair using the same formula is 79.20. If you use 160 X 5200 for my Corsa you get 158 HP. These specifications for torque and RPM were from http://www.carnut.com/specs/gen/vair60.html.
Has anyone put a stock Corvair on a dyno to determine what the HP is at a reasonable RPM that people normally drive their Corvair. Thanks Larry
miniman82

Re: Horsepower of Corvair

Post by miniman82 »

I tied to mustang dyno my 180, but had problems that day. Bad gas and super hot outside temps (over 95* that day) led to only making 90 or so. My starter even quit working it was so hot!

I really need to revisit the dyno when I get my car back, I want to know what it’s actually doing.
Click it!
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The old HP numbers from the factory were done on dyno's and were optimistic since most engines were run without air cleaners, mufflers, or cooling fans. Of course the Corvair engine had to be tested with the cooling fan running and it's reported the turbo engines were tested fully dressed, air cleaner and muffler installed.

What really counts is what gets to the rear wheels. Different powertrains have different losses.

I don't worry about dyno and estimated HP numbers, just show me your track times!
lalkie

Post by lalkie »

Optimistic is probably generous. 33% difference is a lot. You can get about 140 HP if you go to 4500 rpm which most people never use except in racing: you get 137 HP. I suppose HP sold cars in the 60's and were overrated. Can we start a class action suite? Just for fun. Larry
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Torque and when it's available makes a difference.

The Corvette L89 engine was rated at 245HP in it's last year and the LT-1 that immediately succeeded it was rated at 300HP. However if you look at the 1/4 miles numbers the L89 and LT-1 are nearly the same. The L89 made a lot of torque at lower RPM and usually beat the LT-1 off the line, although by the end of the run the LT-1 caught up and probably was a bit faster, but the 50HP difference was hardly noticeable.

That said - 300HP sure looked better in the advertising.
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

I have a Clayton above ground dyno in my back yard. It has been sitting 12-15 years. If some one would help me clean it up and help get it running again, would be glad to test some cars!
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”