Back to the gas heater...

All Models and Years
KiltedPhoenix

Back to the gas heater...

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

Alternator issues are solved, moving on... I cant seem to get it to fire, Ive got voltage at the fuse panel, but inadequate volatage at the harness plug at the top of the heater case. I also am getting NO voltage to the solenoid. Ive tried a few relays, nothing changes. Where/how am I losing voltage between teh fuse panel and the plug at the top of the heater? I've also swapped out the top shell (with the wiring ON it) and the same thing happened, so it is not the unit itself, its somewhere between the unit and power source. ANy suggestions?
lostboy

Re: Back to the gas heater...

Post by lostboy »

KiltedPhoenix wrote:Alternator issues are solved, moving on... I cant seem to get it to fire, Ive got voltage at the fuse panel, but inadequate volatage at the harness plug at the top of the heater case. I also am getting NO voltage to the solenoid. Ive tried a few relays, nothing changes. Where/how am I losing voltage between teh fuse panel and the plug at the top of the heater? I've also swapped out the top shell (with the wiring ON it) and the same thing happened, so it is not the unit itself, its somewhere between the unit and power source. ANy suggestions?
I bench tested mine. It's easier to see if it works on a bench.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

Weirdly, it just started kinda working today while I was driving. It wasn't has hot as it could be and it to a long time while cycling to get back to blowing hot, until it just stopped again. I'm thinking maybe a bad solenoid, again.

I'd love to know more details of how you bench tested. I have enough parts to make 3 units. I want the one in my car working (obviously) but would love to put together a working unit to bench test replacement parts with.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app

spyderman64

Post by spyderman64 »

The fuel solenoid quit on my FC gas heater. I was going to replace the solenoid until I noticed a burned/corroded spot on the inside of the solenoid cover. I sanded the bad spot until it was shiny and reinstalled it. The heater fired up on the first try. Fortunately the solenoid cover is one of the VERY few parts you can replace on an FC gas heater without removing the whole unit from the vehicle.
caroseiii

Post by caroseiii »

Sounds like a bad thermostat. Have you looked at your to see if its rusty and whether the microswitch resistance is within the electrical specifications?

Crawford Rose
KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

Microswitch resistance? Sorry, that's a little beyond me. Also, what microswitch?

Thermostat is a little rusty but it was last year and it worked fine.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”