Left bank engine problems

All Models and Years
Robert 411

Left bank engine problems

Post by Robert 411 »

I have a 66 corvair monza 140 and the left side exhaust not hot it's warm I can grab the exhaust pipe. The right side is hot, so I'm thinking maybe one cylinder is firing on the left, but not all three. It's smells like it's rich on the left. What could be my problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Corvair Forum mobile app

Jerry Whitt

Re: Left bank engine problems

Post by Jerry Whitt »

With the engine running, a simple test will lead to a solution. Go to the distributor cap, then pull one spark plug wire at a time. Note what happens.
If a cylinder is not firing, there will be no change in idle speed. Do all 6 cylinders.

Now do a compression test of those cylinders that did not change speed. While the plugs are out inspect for fouling.

Let us know of your results.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Jerry Whitt wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:52 am With the engine running, a simple test will lead to a solution. Go to the distributor cap, then pull one spark plug wire at a time. Note what happens.
If a cylinder is not firing, there will be no change in idle speed. Do all 6 cylinders.

Now do a compression test of those cylinders that did not change speed. While the plugs are out inspect for fouling.

Let us know of your results.
This is always a good place to start.

Could also possibly be a malfunctioning primary carb on the cold side. Have seen plenty engines run pretty well on 3 cylinders, idle smooth etc. Every time that I can recall when I have found what you describe (assuming the engine seems otherwise ok as in decent idle no nasty noises etc.) it has been related to what I call a dead carb. Blocked idle circuit at least. Try this....with engine idling using the palm of you hand, block the top of the left side primary carb. What does the engine do? Does the idle slow, or does the engine die, little or no change? Now try the same thing with the right side primary. If the right side kills the engine and the left has not much or little impact you have likely found an issue with the left primary carb.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Did you check the spark plugs?? Are they wet or dry??
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Jerry Whitt wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:52 am With the engine running, a simple test will lead to a solution. Go to the distributor cap, then pull one spark plug wire at a time. Note what happens.

In my opinion this is not a good idea if you are running electronic ignition. This test is done better if you slid the cap boots back and slide a paper clip down along side the wire then attach a ground wire one at a time. Simply pulling a wire can cause a high voltage arc inside the cap to strike the pickup/module damaging it. Also while it's idling place your hand over the top of each carb. one at a time, sealing it off, and see if engine almost dies or continues to run. Plugged idle circuits are common on occasionally run engines.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”