Distributor vacuum and hose

All Models and Years
Jeff+Carrie'63

Distributor vacuum and hose

Post by Jeff+Carrie'63 »

New Corvair owner and have yet another question.
I have a 1963 Corvair Monza 900 - automatic.
I noticed yesterday after a drive with my wife that the gas mileage was noticeably low. Or, at least low in my estimation.
In checking under the hood I see that the vacuum hose from the Distributor vacuum is collapsed somewhat.
The hose seems to be too thin in my estimation for what it is intended. It is a clear hose, which most photos I see show the standard blue hose is used.
Does anyone know if that could be the problem?? And if so, can I just use standard (looks like 3/8") hose to replace this?
Thanks.
Jeff
Jerry Whitt

Re: Distributor vacuum and hose

Post by Jerry Whitt »

The clear hose is the wrong type. Probably stolen from a fish tank. Your local parts house will have the proper size hose.
Just take the car over and show them what you need.

When the hose collapses, the vacuum advance does not allow the timing to advance, which will then cause lack of power and lower gas mileage.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The vacuum advance tubing/hose would be the same material and diameter as the short hose that connects between the base horizontal vacuum port on each carburetor and the choke vacuum break diaphragm that is illustrated in the diagram below. Common colors are black or blue, and it may be made of rubber or silicon rubber. The correct hose type is listed in the Clark's Corvair Parts catalog, but you should be able to find a suitable hose at almost any auto parts store. Just tell them it is for your vacuum advance connection between the distributor and the carburetor. Clear plastic tubing is not suitable, and as it gets warm the walls of the tubing soften and would tend to collapse.

Part number C477: HOSE-VACUUM

Weight: 0 lbs 10 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 78
Price: $ 4.80

This diagram illustrates potential problem areas for a normally aspirated Corvair where vacuum leaks can occur.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier posts and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your specific location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Jeff+Carrie'63

Post by Jeff+Carrie'63 »

Jerry...Brad...thanks so much for the assistance on this. On a scale of 1 to 10, my mechanical skills are probably a 5. But, since purchasing my Corvair three weeks ago, I have really been reading and learning a lot about the car I now have. My skills will increase as times goes along. I enjoy learning and doing, so all of this information really helps me.
Thanks again!
Jeff
chris

Post by chris »

The nice thing about the vacuum hose is that it’s super easy to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”