left side oil leak on 66 Monza

All Models and Years
jwarren

left side oil leak on 66 Monza

Post by jwarren »

Over the past few months, the engine has been leaving a saucer size oil puddle immediately after the engine is shut off. Today I looked into the leaks and determined that the oil pressure switch is leaking very slowly, not fast enough to account for what is coming out of the left bottom.( the second one Ive installed in the last five years). The right side valve cover gasket is slightly weeping-Not the problem. The oil drips steadily from the louvered vent on the left side while the engine in running. I don't believe that the left side push rod tubes are the culprit since they appear dry when I look into the vent. I looked under the balancer with a mirror and is doesn't look that the oil is coming from the seal. The skid plate has a good size puddle of oil in it. At this point the oil cooler o rings/gaskets seem to be be the primary suspect. When I stick my finger inside the inboard side of the cooler it comes out very wet. (I didn't want to do this with the engine running!) I cant see in there with the mirror.

It seems pretty a straight forward procedure to remove the cooler, but maybe not its a Corvair! Any tips on doing this job? Does my diagnosis sound reasonable?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: left side oil leak on 66 Monza

Post by bbodie52 »

Opportunities for oil leaks are fairly equal on both sides of the engine, with the exception of the oil cooler on the left side. The rubber o-rings can become hard and no longer provide a seal. The oil cooler itself can also develop a pinhole leak withing its structure, but the two rubber seals are the most likely culprit.

The video below will take you through the procedure for installing your replacement harmonic balancer and also covers replacing the oil cooler seals. If the video does not start at the beginning, simply use your mouse to move the time bar back to zero minutes and zero seconds so that you can watch the entire video. The section that applies specifically to the oil cooler begins at time mark 22:10.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... AIN&page=4

Part number C123C: VITON OIL COOLER SEALS-SET 2

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 4,12(60)
Price:
1 - 1 $ 4.15
2 - 9 $ 3.75
10+ $ 3.55

I have attached a copy of the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual section that applies to the engine. Specific instructions for removing and replacing the oil cooler seals can be found on page 6 – 19. I have also included the SPECIFICATIONS section that provides you with the torque specifications for the engine component bolts.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:chevy:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6 - ENGINE
(19.37 MiB) Downloaded 29 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION - SPECIFICATIONS.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION - SPECIFICATIONS
(2.83 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina