Mid point of balance for engine, transmission and gear box...

All Models and Years
ossieoz

Mid point of balance for engine, transmission and gear box...

Post by ossieoz »

Hi there, first time posting on the forum with a question... i have a 1964 Monza, 110 hp with a 4 speed gearbox. Planning on dropping the whole engine and transmission out of my monza soon.

Using a transmission jack and think it would be a good idea to know where the ’mid point of balance’ would be of all the engine and transmission is... any one know (approximately)? If i know this then i’ll know where to place the jack and be able to drop the whole engine and transmission by myself

Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Danny Joe

Re: Mid point of balance for engine, transmission and gear box...

Post by Danny Joe »

Bottom of the bellhousing.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Danny Joe wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:05 pm Bottom of the bellhousing.
Roughly this. Depending on transaxle in use (auto, stick, early, late) it will vary a bit forward from the center of the bellhousing. Some transaxles have more weight forward so a little experimentation is a good idea. Place your jack in a likely spot. Remove the rear mount bolt or bolts and loosen but do not remove the 2 nuts at the ends of the trans crossmember. You can now lower the rear of the powertrain a little while it is still secure at the front. Try to lift the rear with your arms and judge from there where to move the jack for better balance. It is easy enough to jack the rear back up the 3-4 inches you let it down, stick the nut or nuts back on and reposition the jack for a better balance. davemotohead on this forum has produced and sold some nice steel brackets made to support the transaxle on top of a trans jack. Works great.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Davemotohead posts here makes a real nice frame to use with a floor jack.

Many use a lift cart from Harbor Freight.

What ever you do - DON'T PUT SUPPORTS AT THE OIL PAN. I've thrown away a few oil pickup assemblies that were crushed by folks lifting at the oil pan (pickup is only about 1/8" above oil pan).
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

I have attached several documents that may be helpful to you. The first, Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation, is a good supplement to the information in the shop manual. Page 10 (bottom) illustrates the balance point (front to back). The oil pan drain plug is a good side-to-side reference point. After you have removed and disconnected everything around the perimeter of the powertrain and engine compartment that links the engine and transaxle to the car, you can position the jack (and a piece of plywood, if needed, to protect the underside of the engine), in the "best guess" balance position. Remove the three attaching nuts that secure the front transmission mount to the two rubber mounts, and the rear center rubber mount to the engine. As you slowly lower the powertrain, observe the front and rear attachment points to see of the powertrain appears to be coming down evenly. If the rear or front comes down first, you can raise the powertrain again, temporarily reinstall the three attaching nuts, and then make an adjustment to the jack position. After a little trial and error you should see the entire assembly coming down evenly so that it can be slowly lowered to ground level and wheeled from under the car. The shift linkage at the front of the manual transmission tends to hang up on the transmission mount, so you many have to maneuver the hardware a bit to clear the two components on the way down. (One or two safety observers/assistants is nice to have around, but I did manage to remove the powertrain by myself for the first time in 1969 when I was sixteen and survived to tell the tale! I was definitely sweating a lot and showing signs of being nervous at the time, but it can be done).

:wrench: When you separate the engine form the transaxle, use caution. The problem with the manual transaxle is that the long input shaft (23-24 inches) tends to remain embedded in the pilot bushing and clutch disc, while the other (smaller) end of the splined shaft pulls free from the transmission. As the two heavy components separate, any misalignment that is permitted risks leverage being applied by the input shaft against the throwout bearing shaft, which can fracture this machined casting. Replacing a damaged throwout bearing shaft requires dismantling the differential.

Use caution when separating the heavy transaxle from the engine. If the input shaft remains embedded in the clutch, you must pull the transaxle straight back about 24 inches until the other end clears the transaxle. If you have an assistant, the assistant may be able to reach between the differential face and the bell housing to grab the input shaft and pull it free from the clutch assembly — reducing the risk of damaging the input shaft, clutch disc, or throw-out bearing shaft.

With the engine and transaxle separated, be sure to inspect the throwout bearing shaft completely for cracks or fractures. The input shaft seal should be replaced when doing a clutch job, to ensure that no gear lube will leak onto the clutch assembly during operation. Also, when prying the input shaft retaining ring and seal out, be careful not to apply leverage against the end of the throwout bearing shaft, as excess leverage with a screwdriver or similar tool could conceivably cause a crack to form on the throwout bearing shaft.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your earlier posts and tell us more about yourself. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your specific location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Attachments
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation.pdf
Corvair and Corvair 95 Power Train Removal & Installation
(3.35 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train
(704.51 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6 - Power Train
(32.63 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
ossieoz

Post by ossieoz »

Thanks for the info guys :)

1961 Greenbrier, 1962 Rampside and 1964 Monza cab.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”