65-66 Convertible Top motor

All Models and Years
bmuno

65-66 Convertible Top motor

Post by bmuno »

I have a 1965 Monza (Corsa Clone) Convertible. It is my first Corvair and I have only had it 2 weeks. It was last registered in 1995 and I think the top has been up all these years. I have been trying to determine if the top mechanism is binding or if the motor is too weak to operate it. I bench tested the motor and it turns both directions but I can not tell how much torque it has. The driver's side mechanism is much harder to operate than the passenger side. I can operate both sides with an electric drill. I have tried lubricating the driver's mechanism but no change.

While trying to locate a new or used motor I came across the following source:
https://screenshots.firefox.com/ID8ISBF ... psdown.com

Does anyone have any experience with this replacement motor? It is not only cheaper but claims to have more torque. I am still going to look into having my motor rebuilt but may end up ordering this motor. Any feedback is appreciated.

Bill
Sold my MG Midget in May 2017.
Joined the Corvair Forum in June 2017.
Bought my first Corvair November 2017.
1965 Corvair Monza?/Corsa? Convertible.
Bill
MtnVairMike

Re: 65-66 Convertible Top motor

Post by MtnVairMike »

Have you tried helping the first section bend that’s over the driver window?
My manual top hadn’t been opened in a long while before I bought it and that did the trick with the help of a friend on the other side.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
1966 Monza Convertible, 140HP-4 speed, Ermine White
1969 Monza Convertible, 110HP-PG, Frost Green, #3753
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Check and lubricate all the pivots in the top frame and try helping it run thru a few times. Might just need to be moved a few times to free it up.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Is the top motor and various parts for a 1966 the same as the parts for a 1965. A chance encounter may have uncovered a 66 assembly. Might be a deal if they are the same.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bmuno

Post by bmuno »

Thanks for the replies regarding possible binds in my convertible top. I think I do have some binds but the major problem is probably a lack of ground. I have ordered a new circuit breaker for the ground leg and will update this post when I get it. Some of my binds may have been caused by the fact that I had the car on jack stands when I first tested for binds.

Jerry, I think the 65 and 66 use the same motor and frames. What is the condition of the assembly. Hemet is close, I am in Fallbrook. I would love to see your cars sometime. My Corvair started as a Monza and is 95% converted to a Corsa. I have a lot to learn about Corvairs.

Bill
Sold my MG Midget in May 2017.
Joined the Corvair Forum in June 2017.
Bought my first Corvair November 2017.
1965 Corvair Monza?/Corsa? Convertible.
Bill
dave t

Post by dave t »

The top motor and transmission is the same for all late model corvairs. Also the same ad chevelle, cutlass, skylark and Cadillac. Most of the drive cables are the same too except for the length.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”