Turning Over by Hand

All Models and Years
triumphcorvair

Turning Over by Hand

Post by triumphcorvair »

It's been a while (several years) since I've done this, but when you turn the engine over by hand is it clockwise or counter clockwise? If while doing this you should happen to loosen the HB bolt, what should it be re-torqued to?

I've been reading the threads and its been a long time since I've started my engine. Looks like I've got a lot to do.
Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas
Jerry Whitt

Re: Turning Over by Hand

Post by Jerry Whitt »

The engine normally turns counter clockwise when viewed from the rear of the car. Trying to turn the crank that direction with a wrench will cause the bolt on the crankshaft to come out.

A better way to get the engine to move is to remove the distributor, put a long shaft onto a drill motor. The shaft is used to turn the oil pump. Then attach a continuity light to the oil pressure switch. Turn on the ignition. The light will be lit. Use the drill motor to turn the oil pump until the light goes off. With the light off, that means the oil pressure is moving through the engine.

Now use the starter motor to spin the engine. Pulling the plugs would be a good idea too.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
triumphcorvair

Post by triumphcorvair »

Thanks Jerry....I went out and tried to turn it with a wrench before I read your response and I turned it counter clockwise which of course loosened the bolt. Is there a torque spec for retightening it?
Darrell McCracken
Huntsville, Texas
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Torque should be 40 to 50 lbs.

To do this, you will need to lock the crank to prevent it from turning. If the car is a stick shift, put the transmission into high gear. Now you can put the torque needed on the bolt.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”