Powerpack swap advice...

All Models and Years
coppertop666

Powerpack swap advice...

Post by coppertop666 »

I am planning on installing a powerpack from a donor car in my 65 (110/PG) so I can rebuild the engine and go over everything while still driving the car. The issue is that the donor pack has been sitting since 1981 and although it runs and has good compression, it has a good share of leaks that I want to seal up before installing and the differential is a Posi that I have read can be problematic in a corvair.

So is there anything I should do as a preventive to the Diff, minus fluid change / additive?

I wasn't planning on splitting the pack but if I am going to be diving into sealing the engine, should I split and replace all seals?

I was planning on taking my time with the rebuild of the original engine so want this to run well in the car for a while.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
Matt
Centerport, NY
64 Monza Conv.
110 / 4 speed
Lagoon Aqua
Jerry Whitt

Re: Powerpack swap advice...

Post by Jerry Whitt »

The term "power pack" is not commonly used. We think you mean the engine, transmission and differential.

If that is what you mean, go to a supplier such as Clarks and obtain a master engine gasket set with all of the seals, a transmission and differential set.
You will need work tables and lots of mechanical tools and a cleaning vat for the various parts with cleaning brushes, and a strong wire brush mounted on a grinding wheel. Solvents of various types will be needed.

A complete tear down is appropriate. When this is done, measurements of the pistons, crank, cam, cylinders will be needed. This will take lots of work and time. After measurements, knowledge of needed parts will be apparent.

All of the gaskets and seals should be replaced. If this is not done, tell tale leaks will cause you to tear it down the second or third time. Try to do it
correctly the first time. This will save lots and lots of headaches. When in doubt as to what is correct a tech manual would be a good investment. There are many of us on this forum that will be glad to help as various problems come up.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

From what I gather you are wanting to install this complete powertrain and use it for a period of time while you rebuild another powertrain and then you will swap it back out. It would be a good idea to separate the engine and transaxle so you can change the front crankshaft seal and easily change all engine oil seals and gaskets (the biggest most common leaks are in the engine particularly pushtube O-rings, valve covers, oil pan, oil cooler and front and rear crank seals). If the transaxle and engine are separated you should at least change the torque convertor seal in the rear of the diff as well. Whether or not you want to do more re-sealing of the transaxle is a matter more of choice and how much leakage seems to be present in the trans and diff. Side axle seals in the diff are easy to change with it out on the floor and I would do at least a new pan gasket, shift cable and TV rod o-ring in the trans while I had it out (top cover gasket on the diff is a given since you will not be able to fully drain the diff without removing the top cover and inverting it). Beyond these transaxle seals most are not that leak prone and you might be lazy and not change any more of them since this is a temporary install. Ideal would be to change all seals in the transaxle as well, but, that depends on how things look, how much time and $ you want to spend on this temp setup, and in a smaller way how lucky you feel (of course also how you feel about re-pulling this temp powertrain if there is a missed bad leak).

If you are only rebuilding the engine you could remove just the engine, re-seal the temp engine, install it and leave the existing transaxle in the car. Engine only removal is not as hard in an automatic as it is in a stick (less stuff to line up when remating).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Trip

Post by Trip »

I agree with TerribleTed. Just don't use RTV or anything similar... I wish someone had given me that advice before I resealed my 140 about ten years ago. :sad5:
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
coppertop666

Post by coppertop666 »

I appreciate all the advice, thank you. I like the idea of just sealing up the donor engine and then installing in my car with the rest of the original powertrain which is working perfectly. I don't know why I didn't think of that! I guess I was just thinking it would be easier to remove/replace the entire pack or powertrain.
Matt
Centerport, NY
64 Monza Conv.
110 / 4 speed
Lagoon Aqua
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

With a stick it is a lot harder to get the engine off the powertrain as well as getting it back on because of the splined clutch shaft that has to be mated. With the automatic it is not terrible to just remove the engine as long as the torque convertor nub is not stuck in the end of the crankshaft. The issue is supporting the engine at the right angle for removal and particularly re-installation. I have historically used a piece of 2x10 under the engine with it balanced on a good large (like 6x6") lifting pad floor jack. It is best to have 2-3 people particularly for reinstall. one for maneuvering the jack and 1-2 for tipping and wiggling the engine into alignment with the diff. You will need to the throttle rods so they do not get bent when you lower the rear of the powertrain (best to pull the shift cable out as well so it does not get twisted too hard). Disconnect all wiring fuel line, ground cables etc. that may get damaged when the back of the engine is lowered. Jack the rear of the car and put on jackstands. Only jacking the rear give the best angles for this. You must loosen the front powertrain mounting bolts (trans crossmember to trans end mounts) to give some play. You will also need to remove the front piece of engine shrouding to access the bolts that fasten the torque convertor to the flex plate on the flywheel. What you want to do is leave the torque convertor on the transaxle and remove only the engine. Suspension disassembly is not needed. The rear of the powertrain will drop just low enough to get clearance for removal of the engine. It is best to have a second jack (even a bottle jack will work) to place under the differential to hold it up and help with engine installation alignment during install. Make sure to clean lightly sand and grease the torque convertor nub that engages the crank as well as the accepting hole in the end of the crank to make mating easier. Also do not forget to have the torque convertor and the flex plate aligned with the access hole in the bellhousing before mating this way once the engine is back in place you can align the bolt hole and nut with a suitable drift once the engine is back in place so that flex plate bolt install is possible.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

coppertop666

Post by coppertop666 »

Thanks Ted, appreciate all the detailed Info!
Matt
Centerport, NY
64 Monza Conv.
110 / 4 speed
Lagoon Aqua
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

coppertop666 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:33 am Thanks Ted, appreciate all the detailed Info!
Not sure how much you know...so I provide tips:)

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”