140 carbs

All Models and Years
skipvair

140 carbs

Post by skipvair »

I have recently gotten a 66 Corsa with a September 65 build date. The car is a great restoration, but I note it has 65 carb linkage on it. Is it possible some early 66 models had this or is it just incorrect?
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: 140 carbs

Post by azdave »

As far as I know, the 65 140 linkage design ended while 65's were still in production. The 66-style linkage can be found on late 65's.

Below from cnicol post in 2012

Early 65: Secondary rods have no spring & cross shaft secondary lever has a long, curved slot.

Late 65-67: Secondary rods each have an exposed, concentric spring. Cross shaft secondary lever has a single hole for rod, (no curved slot). System includes choke-based secondary lock-out.

68-9: Secondary rods each have a concentric spring hidden inside a tube. Cross shaft secondary lever has a single hole for rod, (no curved slot). System includes choke-based secondary lock-out.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The 66 lock-out linkage has been troublesome overall. Things must be just adjusted just right and in good repair (not worn) to function properly. Many people over the years have given up on their 66 linkage setup and swapped in the 65 direct non lock-out linkage. I personally would stay with the 65 linkage. I have found it to be essentially trouble free compared to the lock-out setups. When you accelerate to the point of the secondarys opening they open every time. the only issue is that if you open the secondarys with the engine cold a stumble can sometimes result. I had to use a 66 linkage, first I would have to have a very good set of parts and second I would install new chokes before I would try to use it. The chokes must function evenly and have strong pull down in order for everything to function as it should.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Thanks. They are staying!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

skipvair

Post by skipvair »

I found these are 66 carbs with 66 linkage. The lockouts work on all 4 in this manner. I am removing the lockouts. BTW, I didn't have much trouble with previous car 66 linkage.

Frank Metasavage

skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Another question. Do secondaries on 65 linkage rely on gravity to return them to closed? One was sticking when I re activated them. (They were previously adjusted not to work at all).

Frank Metasavage

skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Btw. This car has 65 linkage. I also have a 66 set of carbs with linkage and a 68-9 set of linkages and engines.

Frank Metasavage

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

None rely on gravity. The spring under the accelerator pump should return the throttle to closed when released by the linkage.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Secondaries don't have accelerator pumps if I am correct. it seems to be just the weight of the linkage that closes them unless there is perhaps a spring where the accelerator pump is in the primaries. I haven't taken them apart yet, but it seems something positive should shut them down, and there is very little if anything to shut the butterflies on mine. They run fine, but until I lubed them up pretty well after a long period of inactivity, they would stick at WOT.

Maybe it's time to take the tops off.and see what gives on the secondaries.
Frank Metasavage

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The accelerator pump units are in the secondarys as well as the primarys. They do not use the rubber seal that makes them pump (so they do not actually pump). The rest of the parts are the same as in the primarys. The theya re the unit with the spring and sliding deal on them. They have a spring under them just like the primarys do. The spring under the secondary "pumps" is shorter than the one under the primary pumps. This spring is what returns the carb to close throttle along with of course the throttle linkage itself. If the springs are not under the pump unit the throttle plates may not fully close when the linkage is not operating the secondary carbs

Trip

Post by Trip »

I switched my 66' Corsa 140 to 65 linkage myself, pretty common swap. Just make sure you floor the accelerator once every time you drive the car to keep the secondary throttles from getting stuck. =D
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Grymm wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:05 pm
Just make sure you floor the accelerator once every time you drive the car to keep the secondary throttles from getting stuck. =D
This is key to avoiding most issues people have with their secondarys

gnrand

Post by gnrand »

I replaced my 68 140 linkage with Roger Parent's 65 linkage and disabled the secondary stops. I found that getting the pivot rods adjusted to be a little difficult.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

gnrand wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:20 am I replaced my 68 140 linkage with Roger Parent's 65 linkage and disabled the secondary stops. I found that getting the pivot rods adjusted to be a little difficult.
Jeff
Rogers linkage is top drawer. On the set I installed it did take a little trial and error to get the secondary link rods perfectly synched, but, well worth the effort.

Trip

Post by Trip »

terribleted wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 am Rogers linkage is top drawer. On the set I installed it did take a little trial and error to get the secondary link rods perfectly synched, but, well worth the effort.
Yes, I wanted a set myself but I'm one of those "cheap" Corvair guys. :rolling:
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

terribleted wrote:None rely on gravity. The spring under the accelerator pump should return the throttle to closed when released by the linkage.
Replying to an old post of my own with what I found out about secondary return. The carbs were from a place in Florida. The wrong return springs were installed. Ordered correct ones from Clarks and problem was solved.

Frank Metasavage

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”