64 spyder burning oil

All Models and Years
Gwrodzhi

64 spyder burning oil

Post by Gwrodzhi »

I have a 64 spyder that I have been driving and working on for the past few years. I have been slowing tracking down and fixing oil leaks and consumption issues. Lately my spark plugs have been getting dirty and fouling with carbon build up, the number 4 plug was the worst and caused a complete miss in the cylinder after about 700 miles from the last time the plugs were changed. I just removed the intake pipe, turbo and carb as my fan bearing has become noisy and all of this has to get pulled anyway. The inside of the intake tube is pretty black and has a lot of carbon deposits on it. Also the car smokes when letting off the gas on the highway and while under boost. Is there anything to look for specifically with the turbo off the car. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Jerry Whitt

Re: 64 spyder burning oil

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Black indicates fuel issues. Carbon fouling of plugs indicates fuel issues. Black smoke from exhaust on engine coast indicates fuel problem.

Carburetor issues. Start with a carburetor rebuild. Kits are not expensive and after cleaning adjusting, most of these issues should be solved.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Possibly carburetor running rich and flooding due to a faulty needle/seat or leaking float? Wht kind of gas mileage are you getting? I know that the Carter YH carburetor is very sensitive to high fuel pump pressure. Have you tested the fuel pump output? (Procedure is in the shop manual). Carburetor may need cleaning and rebuild.

This book has an excellent reputation...

Available on Amazon.com...

How to Identify and Rebuild Carter YH Carburetors Used on Corvair Turbocharged Engines Paperback – April 26, 2010
by Bob Helt (Author)

Paperback: $24.88

:link: https://www.amazon.com/Identify-Rebuild ... s=Bob+Helt
ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=252

Part number C12813: BOOK-HOW TO IDENTIFY & REBUILD CARTER YH CARBS

Weight: 1 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 252
Price: $ 30.25

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Gwrodzhi

Post by Gwrodzhi »

I had the carb rebuilt last year, I have not tested the fuel pressure. I did buy a Holley fuel pressure regulator but have not installed it yet. Right now everything is apart as I have to replace the top fan bearing. With the turbo off is there anything I can visually inspect to see if that is the source of my burning oil and contributing to my fouled spark plugs.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

On the cold side you’ll never see any evidence of oil, since the fuel moving through the turbo washes away any trace. What’s more likely is a bad turbine seal, which leaves a cloud of burning oil everywhere you go. You can usually see oil wetness dripping down the hot side of it’s leaking, but not always.

Keep in mind worn valve guides and bad rings/worn cylinders can also cause the symptoms you describe, so don’t blame the turbo till you’re sure it can’t be anything else.
Click it!
Gwrodzhi

Post by Gwrodzhi »

I did a compression check on all cylinders and they were all even and in spec as well.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

This "how to" video might be useful as you change that fan bearing...

Since you already have a Holley fuel pressure regulator, perhaps you can install it and adjust it for proper fuel pressure as you reassemble your engine. It just might make the difference to your engine!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Good compression does not necessarily mean the rings are all good.( it is a good general indication) It is possible to have good compression rings but bad oil control rings. Just food for thought. I would eliminate all other possibilities before dismantling the engine to see these. Burning oil should result in blue smoke from the exhaust.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Another way to tell where it’s coming from is WHEN the smoke starts. If it smokes nearly immediately after startup, your problem is on the intake side of things because it’s being drawn into the engine and burned in the combustion chamber. Could be either the carbon seal in the turbo, or really bad valve guides- which BTW can be completely shot allowing oil past them while still allowing the valves to seat giving good compression readings.

If it smokes after driving a while, you probably have a turbine seal leak. This is because it takes the turbine housing some time to get hot enough to cause the oil to burn, hence the delay.
Click it!
Gwrodzhi

Post by Gwrodzhi »

Thanks for all the input. Will be out of town and traveling for the next few weeks but will be sure to follow up as I have time to dive deeper in.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”