rear suspension rebuild

All Models and Years
jdflight

rear suspension rebuild

Post by jdflight »

Good afternoon

Looking for a little advice on when to tighten the rear swing arm bolts. I have everything together and about to finish up bleeding the brakes and one or my club member suggested loading the suspension before tightening the swing arm bolts. He suggested putting tires on putting blocks under them so the load is on the suspension and still be able to slide under to tighten them. I was wondering if this is necessary, also what is a good way to adjust alignment when complete.

Thanks in advance.

Josh
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma
:assault:
terribleted

Re: rear suspension rebuild

Post by terribleted »

What year car? Generally it is a good idea to have the suspension loaded before finally tightening bushing and or adjustment bolts. This way any bushings should not bind or twist when the suspension is loaded. This applies to front or rear suspension assemblies.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
jdflight

Post by jdflight »

Sorry it is a 61 monza
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:nono: I had to browse through many of your previous postings to refresh my memory concerning your Corvair model and year. It is a good Idea to create a signature that will automatically appear on each of your posts. That way anyone who wishes to respond will always know what kind of car you own, your location, etc.

:tongue: Recommend you go to your User Control Panel Profile and create a Signature (Click on Edit signature) You can customize it just like you customize text in a Corvair Forum post. You can also embed a picture if you like.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
jdflight

Post by jdflight »

Thanks for the heads up and your right I should have lead with that.
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Loading the suspension is more of an issue with the late model suspension I would guess but is a good idea on any car after bushing replacement.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

jdflight

Post by jdflight »

thanks, do you think stacking 2/6 under the wheel will work ?
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

jdflight wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:54 pm thanks, do you think stacking 2/6 under the wheel will work ?
Anything that will allow you to reach what you need to and also allow the car weight to rest on the suspension. I use jackstands under the outer ends of suspension arms. This is the safest way in my opinion, not much worry about the car rolling off jackstands (chock the other end of the car)and the wheels can be off and out of the way facilitating access to the bolts. Only bolts that are on bushings that rotate during suspension action (like inner control arm bushings) are an issue at all. All solid static mounting points etc. can be tightened before this step.

jdflight

Post by jdflight »

Thank you. I was able to get it complete.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”