Carburetors for a 63 turbo

All Models and Years
nmunn

Re: Carburetors for a 63 turbo

Post by nmunn »

Interesting. May be more that I can handle. Any knowledge of links / sites that detail the usage?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

toytron wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:33 pm Miniman82, your input is valued. I know it is asking a lot but you should have a website to document some of the stuff you have done and some helps for us turbo people. I appreciate the CD I purchased from you but I think there are many hear that would benefit from your knowledge.
I do have a website Ed, you’re looking at it! :evil:

My ignition conversion has been mirrored on at least 3 sites that I know of, it looks really involved but if you take it step by step it’s not a big deal. It uses a megajolt controller and a bunch of Ford parts- if I could convince people to do just one thing to their 150/180 engine, this would be it. It’s the biggest improvement bar none.

http://www.corvairnut.com/EDIS.htm
Click it!
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

Here's another write up: http://blacksheepsquad.blogspot.com/201 ... rsion.html

One thing about changing the values in the timing table: It's pretty easy to screw things up. :sad5: You can generate a base map as a starting point, I used this one: http://www.useasydocs.com/theory/spktable.htm Lots of guys think they can tune the advance curve by advancing until detonation, then back it off a few degrees, but really you need to put it on a dyno that can hold the engine at different RPMs.

HTH
Marty Scarr
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Dyno is better of course, but you can get 95% of the way on the street.
Click it!
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

Def a bit above my skill set! But makes sense.

toytron

Post by toytron »

I should have remembered. I have been to your site before duh!
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
gaylon

Post by gaylon »

I have a '66 Corsa with a Turbo. I have owned it for 15 or so years and it has never ran as good as some of my earlier Turbos. I converted the ignition to an electronic ignition and that helped little. But I still had cold start issues and a lack of low end torque, and an erratic idle.
About a year ago I decided to rebuild the fuel system, replacing all hoses, the fuel tank-(cheaper to replace than to clean), all the grommets in the tunnel, new fuel pump and filter. I also found a carb wizard who knew the YH carb very well, he rebuilt it and I filled the carb hooked it up and bingo it started right up.
It now runs great, better than it ever has, so much so that I am excited about the prospect of getting the car painted and enjoying it on a regular basis.
It is so cool to go out and crank it after it has been sitting for a week and have it start right up, idle up and then idle down as the choke heats up and acts as it should!!
And it is really cool to see the manifold pressure gauge go positive, if you know what I mean!!
I have owned a lot of Corvairs since I was 15 and they run pretty good when they are right!!......gm
Attachments
IMG_2865.JPG
IMG_2859.JPG
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

Thanks for posting. Good to hear there is potential with the Carter. I’m still on the fence with which way to go. For now I’ll do the electronic ignition upgrade and rebuild the Carter - what ignition system did you use?

gaylon

Post by gaylon »

I used the Crane cam FireballXR700.
It was available from Clark's.
Instructions were good....gm
Attachments
IMG_2879.JPG
IMG_2882.JPG
nmunn

Post by nmunn »

Thanks, seems to be the most popular. How absolutely but your coil? Wasn’t sure what was the best coil upgrade to go with something like the xr700.

nmunn

Post by nmunn »

Miniman, I’ve got my 180 broken down. Plans where to rebuild the YH/turbo and refresh the stock exhaust. But, I hate the idea of spending good money on the stock configuration. Going to go back through all the links and review the megasquirt again. Would like to see the strong improvements you mentioned.

miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I didn’t like stock either, let us know which direction you go in.
Click it!
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

nmunn wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:57 am Miniman, I’ve got my 180 broken down. Plans where to rebuild the YH/turbo and refresh the stock exhaust. But, I hate the idea of spending good money on the stock configuration. Going to go back through all the links and review the megasquirt again. Would like to see the strong improvements you mentioned.

Here's a turbo with some "strong improvements" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuGr5GsB9q0&t=1s
:tu:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”