63 brakes

All Models and Years
naderwaswrong

63 brakes

Post by naderwaswrong »

Doing a full brake job on a 63 conv. that likely sat for a while. Bad news is the drums. Yes I know I can get them from Clarks, before I do I'll look at my options. I have a 64 parts car with really good drums which I can see are different. At the front, could I use the 64 drums if I change out certain parts? I see the hub is the same so would I assume the spindle is? Backing plate? Shoes and cylinders? I don't have any options for the rear as the 64 rear brakes were stripped. I have one good 63 rear drum which I have turned, the other is too warped. I have located a used one. Any advice is appreciated.
naderwaswrong

Re: 63 brakes

Post by naderwaswrong »

Looked at my "options" and the most cost effective after all was Clarks and Rafman for drums. Thanks
roman25

Post by roman25 »

I have a '62 chevy truck that has drum brakes surrounding, you say this is ONLY for the back, and the fronts don't have spacer bars or e-brake joins, do the fronts go together simply like this, less the spacer bar and e-brake joins? In the event that there is some different strides for the fronts, I would GREATLY value some information, as I've never done drum brakes, circle brakes are simple, yet I discover drum brakes significantly all the more scary, also the last time my brakes were finished by a mech.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I taught myself to do disc and drum brake procedures as a teenager. Follow the shop manual as your guide. More help is available on the Internet and on YouTube, and with books like the one below...

I found books like this very helpful in learning basic theory and procedures. The Petersen's book series covered ignition systems, clutches and transmissions, carburetors, cams, valves and exhaust systems, as well as brake systems They were published in the 1960s and 1970s so they covered vintage cars and designs and technology from that time period. Used, inexpensive copies can be found on Amazon.com, eBay, and other used book sources on the Internet.

:link: https://www.amazon.com/Chassis-Suspensi ... B003F1JYTY

I have attached the Brake section of the Corvair shop manual if you don't already have a copy.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:chevy:
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes
(923.04 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes.pdf
1962-1963 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 11 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 5 - Brakes
(933 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 5 - BRAKES.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 5 - BRAKES
(4.6 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Trip

Post by Trip »

Let us know how you make out on your brake job. I wasn't aware of the brakes on 64's being different... I wonder if they are the same as 65 up? I haven't gotten that far yet on my 64 but the brakes on it are incomplete. I assumed I'd have what I needed on hand but now I don't know. :dontknow:
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Not the same as 65 up.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Corvair Brakes
A Corvair has an advantage over a front engine car under braking. Since the weight bias is to the rear, the car is much less nose heavy under braking, so it makes use of all four tires when stopping. Early model Corvairs had adequate, though not spectacular, brakes and the rear weight bias helped the car use all four when braking. Late models used GM intermediate platform (Chevelle, Tempest, etc.) brakes which performed very well on the 1000 pound lighter Corvair. FCs use full size Chevy brakes and they too work quite well on the lighter Corvair trucks...
:link: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/brakes.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Trip

Post by Trip »

I would like to hear more about the '64 brakes. What is different about them and how do they compare to other EM's etc.?
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Use the backing plates and drums off the 64 parts car on the front of the 63. The rest of the front shoes and hardware are a direct swap as long as the 63 had self adjusting shoes. On the rear use everything off the 63 except the drums. Those can be sourced from the 64 without other changes.
The only difference in parts and hardware between these 2 years that I'm aware of is how the 64 front drums fit their unique backing plates, and the 64 finned rear drums. Enjoy!
toms73novass

Post by toms73novass »

I was about to post the same info, front 64 will fit 63 as long as you swap backing plate with drums. And the 64 have rear fins.

I believe the front change was to make it more difficult for water to enter into the brakes.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”