Valve lifter question...

All Models and Years
terribleted

Re: Valve lifter question...

Post by terribleted »

Are you saying that doing static adjustment that the valve moves in as you turn in any preload? This indicates a problem. Not feeling any give may or may not be a problem. Are you sure that the push rod is centered in the dish in the top of the lifter. It is possible to hang the push rod on the edge of the lifter which would indeed be like a solid lifter. If the valve moves while turning the nut in the 1/4-1/2 turns after the push rod no longer slops in and out then something is wrong with either the pushrod install or the lifter itself. The pressure of the valve spring will expel the oil from the lifter sinking the plunger in where you may not be able to do this with your hand. The valve should NOT move when static adjusting.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

terribleted wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:51 pm Are you saying that doing static adjustment that the valve moves in as you turn in any preload?
No, not at all. If fact, I haven't even gotten to that point. Once I discovered there was no preload available on the #1 intake lifter I stopped adjusting, came here and posted my original question.
terribleted wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:51 pm ...The pressure of the valve spring will expel the oil from the lifter sinking the plunger in where you may not be able to do this with your hand.
OK, I'll check that out. I was just going to set the initial adjustment on that one valve to 0 lash. Then run the engine and do the final adjustment.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

What made you decide there was no preload available on #1 intake? Was it simply that you could not feel the spring give with your hand or that the valve moved when adjusting the preload? Set the one lifter that you question just like the rest at static 3/8 or so. Watch the valve as you add preload. IF the valve moves there is an issue like maybe the pushrod is not properly seated in the lifter plunger or a faulty lifter.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Watch this video from Davemotohead1, you can skip to 19:00 minutes.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”