Electrical Gremlins

All Models and Years
Freejax

Electrical Gremlins

Post by Freejax »

Hey guys its been awhile since I have been on the site, I have a funny problem when I turn my wipers on the pump starts pumping fluid as well and stops pumping when I turn the wipers off. Any suggestions?
Happy Building all!
dave t

Re: Electrical Gremlins

Post by dave t »

1 or 2 speed wipers?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Freejax

Post by Freejax »

It has two wiper speeds, but as soon as the wipers come on the sprayer starts and keeps on spraying.
Happy Building all!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The windshield washer system is not even shown in the Corvair wiring schematic. However, the system is described in some detail in the shop manual section that I have attached. The windshield washer section begins on page 12–17.

Figure 36 in this section shows two electrical terminals on the washer pump. The B+ terminal is likely the power source, while the Dash Switch Terminal is probably provided a ground connection to trigger the pump when the washer button is pushed. A multimeter should help you to confirm the condition of each of these terminals. It is possible that there would be an internal short that is grounding the dash switch terminal, or there may be a short in the wiring harness or the instrument panel switch that is applying a permanent ground to that terminal on the washer pump.

Detailed explanation of pump operation is pretty sparse in the shop manual. I don't have any experience with troubleshooting the system, but perhaps the shop manual section will help you to find the source of your problem, and why the pump seems to be permanently on.

I found the diagram below on the Corvair Center website…

Windhield Washer Pump Troubleshooting
:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... msg-418235
Windshield Washer Wiring Diagram.jpg
:dontknow:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - CHASSIS ELECTRICAL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
(6.99 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Here is a photo of how it's wired at the motor & pump, some that say black might be dark blue but it's easy to figure because there is one double plug that goes in the middle. If you have them wired correct then it's gremlins.
Attachments
003.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
dave t

Post by dave t »

Make sure the knob is not sticking. Loosten the set screw and remove the knob. Test again carefully with a pair of pliers. If not that, I will betcha it is the switch if the wiring checks out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Freejax

Post by Freejax »

Thanks guys, will check things out and get back to you's.
Happy Building all!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”