4 Door "Pillar Guard"?

All Models and Years
jdos2

4 Door "Pillar Guard"?

Post by jdos2 »

I have a '65 4 door which is missing the "pillar guard (and associated rib-weather-stripping)" on the left side. The right side is complete. Is there someone who provides it? Does anyone remember what it's called? I've perused the entire Clark's catalogue with no results- though I'm aware that I can call them with specific questions.

Thank you!
terribleted

Re: 4 Door "Pillar Guard"?

Post by terribleted »

If you are talking about the large piece of plastic that covers the inside of the entire center post...I think you need to find it used.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
KtBuckeye

Post by KtBuckeye »

This is something I am looking for also. Cannot find it anywhere
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The LM cover is a one piece molded plastic unit. The color is part of the molding plastic, so you'll probably have to paint a good one to match your car.
So far it is NOT reproduced.

The drivers side always goes first due to use. It's common to hit the plastic cover getting into the car, unless the seat is way forward.

The other issue is the plastic molded part is slightly larger than the metal it fits over. It is held at the top by a screw - DON'T USE THE SCREW as that is where the molded unit starts to crack and then eventually falls apart. Just use the aluminum door jamb moldings to hold down the molded plastic unit. That way it can give a little when rubbed on entry/exit.

I've found a few good passenger molded pieces, but only one drivers side that I used on my car.

NOTE: The best ones are from back east. Out West they tend to be dried out from the sun.

Try the "Corvair Ranch" --- https://corvairranch.com/
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I think Clark's has them on their "soon to be reproduced" list.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

joelsplace wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:16 pm I think Clark's has them on their "soon to be reproduced" list.
I've heard that too about Clark's possibly doing a repop. Those 65-67 4-DR door pillar covers are very hard to find in good shape, especially out here in the sun-baked desert. I bought a nice pair a few years ago on eBay but the idiot seller packed them with barely two sheets of newspaper for padding in a box that was too small. They arrived with substantial damage of course.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”