LM 4 Speed shift coupler...

All Models and Years
acarlson

LM 4 Speed shift coupler...

Post by acarlson »

Well, my '65 Corsa project hit a milestone today. I put the engine back in the car.

I have a question about the shift coupler - It does not line up with the tranny shift control rod. It is off by about 1/4". Although my car is a '65, I have a '66 4 speed installed with all the '66 linkages. When I took the engine out I don't recall that there was any problem with the coupler. The car shifted fine. I see that the shift tube has an adjustment capability to move it forward and back but there doesn't seem to be any lateral adjustment on the transmission end. Two other points I need to make: (1) The shift tube has Clarks bushings installed so there is no side play around the shift rod. These were installed by a previous owner. (2) I replaced shift coupler with a new one from Clarks. The old one with the rubber bushing was shot.

So my question is, is it possible for me to move and center the shift coupler on the shift control rod and if so, how ?

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Jerry Whitt

Re: LM 4 Speed shift coupler...

Post by Jerry Whitt »

First thought, is to loosen the engine and transmission mounts, use a pry bar to move the whole assembly a little.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Jerry Whitt wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:40 pm First thought, is to loosen the engine and transmission mounts, use a pry bar to move the whole assembly a little.
I can give that a try. But when I took the engine out, I just unbolted the transmission from the cross member rather then removing the cross member along with the transmission. So, the tranny should be in the exact same location as it was before it was removed. I may also put the old coupler back on and see if it has the same problem. I'll let you know.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

There really is near zero side to side adjustment at the front of the power train, forcing the powertrain L or R will simply put strain on the trans end mounts and then return to near centered on them. I am confused as to how you have alignment problems at the shift shaft to the trans. The shift shaft assembly is not really supported at the rear and can flop all over the place with the powertrain and crossmember removed. In fact with the crossmember out and the tunnel pans off it is necessary to strap the rod assy up into the car so it is not just hanging below the car and trying to bend the floor below the shifter. (BTW, I have never left the crossmember in the car when removing the trans...much easier to install the power train with the crossmember on the trans.)

Have you taken the shift shaft stabilizing rod loose from the crossmember? If it is not loose there would be little movement available and perhaps cause what you describe. The only other thing other than the trans end not being loosened up that could cause significant misalignment and issues connecting to the trans that I have seen is a bent shift shaft.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Here's the latest. I tried Jerry's suggestion. That didn't work. As Ted said there is no lateral space available to shift the tranny mount. I then loosened the bolts on the coupler stabilizing rod. That did the trick. I'm guessing that the rod was adjusted for the old coupler and needed to be readjusted when I installed the new one. As soon as I loosened the nuts the coupler moved right to where it should be. Anyway no more binding and it's now shifting OK. Thanks for your suggestions.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I had a feeling this might be the case.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Glad it's solved!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new