Won't start any more!

All Models and Years
DeadHorse

Won't start any more!

Post by DeadHorse »

Unfortunately I got busy and did not go out and start the Corvair for a couple months. This is while I was working on getting the seats redone so there was nowhere to sit inside anyway. Now when I go out to start it the lights come on the dash, but the starter does not make a sound so the car won't start. Is it normal for this to happen and is there a way to test the starter to verify it is the problem? And yes I fully charged the battery and still have the same issue. My bait is a 1966 Monza coupe.

Really need to get it running again as I am prepping it for paint and need to get it on the trailer to hall it to the paint shop.

Thanks
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Won't start any more!

Post by bbodie52 »

I have a couple of questions...

1. The battery negative (ground) cable in an earleir photo looks like it is routed directly from the battery post to the alternator. It is supposed to be bolted to the engine, at the base of an alternator support brace. In addition, a second 10/12 gauge wire should connect from the battery negative ground post to the car chassis (bolted to the perimeter frame that surrounds the engine compartment). About 3 short braided ground straps connect rhe engine perimeter sheet metal to chassis ground. (On close inspection it appears that the ground cable is attached at the top end of the alternator bracket, while a ground strap is connected at the bottom of the bracket to the chassis ground, which should be OK).

If the only ground connection is the thick ground cable to the alternator, the car chassis may be inadequately grounded (the engine is electrically and physically isolated from the car chassis by the three rubber engine and transaxle mounts). An inadequate chassis ground could be disrupting your car's electrical system.

2. Does this car have a Powerglide automatic transmission? If it does, is the shift lever in NEUTRAL? There is a NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH in Powerglide-equipped Corvairs. The starter will not work.unless the shift lever is in NEUTRAL.

In the partial schematic diagram below, the wire labeled 12 PPL connects the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. On an automatic transmission vehicle this wire passes through a neutral safety switch, which prevents the starter solenoid from being triggered by the ignition key switch unless the transmission shift lever is in NEUTRAL.
Neutral Safety Switch.jpg
To see the full schematic diagram...
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

Corvair Ground and Dipstick.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
DeadHorse

Post by DeadHorse »

bbodie52 wrote:I have a couple of questions...

1. The battery negative (ground) cable in an earleir photo looks like it is routed directly from the battery post to the alternator. It is supposed to be bolted to the engine, at the base of an alternator support brace. In addition, a second 10/12 gauge wire should connect from the battery negative ground post to the car chassis (bolted to the perimeter frame that surrounds the engine compartment). About 3 short braided ground straps connect rhe engine perimeter sheet metal to chassis ground. (On close inspection it appears that the ground cable is attached at the top end of the alternator bracket, while a ground strap is connected at the bottom of the bracket to the chassis ground, which should be OK).

If the only ground connection is the thick ground cable to the alternator, the car chassis may be inadequately grounded (the engine is electrically and physically isolated from the car chassis by the three rubber engine and transaxle mounts). An inadequate chassis ground could be disrupting your car's electrical system.

2. Does this car have a Powerglide automatic transmission? If it does, is the shift lever in NEUTRAL? There is a NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH in Powerglide-equipped Corvairs. The starter will not work.unless the shift lever is in NEUTRAL.

In the partial schematic diagram below, the wire labeled 12 PPL connects the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. On an automatic transmission vehicle this wire passes through a neutral safety switch, which prevents the starter solenoid from being triggered by the ignition key switch unless the transmission shift lever is in NEUTRAL.
Neutral Safety Switch.jpg
To see the full schematic diagram...
:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=12968

Corvair Ground and Dipstick.jpg

DeadHorse

Post by DeadHorse »

Wow impressive!! Yes it is a power glide transmission. I will definitely review and verify all this in the morning. Great information thanks will let you know what I find. With pics if possible.

DeadHorse

Post by DeadHorse »

DeadHorse wrote:Wow impressive!! Yes it is a power glide transmission. I will definitely review and verify all this in the morning. Great information thanks will let you know what I find. With pics if possible.

Found out it was the starter. Completely deteriorated.

Trip

Post by Trip »

Glad you got it sorted out!
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”