Numbers (Again)

All Models and Years
skipvair

Numbers (Again)

Post by skipvair »

I understand the letters on my engine (66 140 hp) but what are the numbers behind them before the RR and after the T? Is there any correlation between them and serial number?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Numbers (Again)

Post by bbodie52 »

Below is a sample of the engine serial number that should help you to with the meaning the letters and numbers…

T0710WC
T = Tonawanda, New York (GM Tonawanda Engine Plant)
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/comp ... wanda.html
0710 = Engine manufacturing date (month and date). July 10th.
WC = 1963 - 102 HP, 145 CID, Powerglide Automatic Transmission (R-10 FC)

:chevy:
Attachments
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers.PDF
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

So the serial number is not listed, right? Just a code and date that has to be pretty close, but prior to the car's production date. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I'm not sure what internal "handshaking" occurred between GM vehicle production plants and the single engine plant in Tonawanda. There certainly were configuration changes in the engine layouts to match vehicle production type demands and customer-specific orders. The engine serial number just does not provide that much information — even the production year is omitted. The final two letters provide some clue about the engine configuration, but those letter codes often overlap multiple engine production years, forcing owners to check for other clues like cylinder head casting numbers and year-specific assembly components to figure out the actual engine configuration and production year.
Brad Bodie
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Correct, the engine number has nothing to do with the Vin.. The body tag in the engine compartment tell what options the car had, color ect.. The RR in the engine number was used for 65 to 68.
http://www.angelfire.com/ca4/CorvAIRCRA ... uffix.html
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Gocha. I have a 140 that is in my car, just rebuilt with a fairly large cam, forged pistons and Starr cooke heads with Weber carbs (3 barrels) runs\s good, and i would like to run it, but I REALLY want to install Air Conditioning here in Georgia and cannot mount any brackets on this engine due to the part of head that was milled off to accommodate the Webers. Supposedly the block is the original block, and I was really just considering keeping it around as-is and rebuilding one of the 2 extra 140's I have. one being an RR code and another an RY (I think it is 'Y" Corsa A?C car whatever that is). I just wanted to know if I was sacrificing originality if one of these engines "codes out" to have been possible in my car. I don't want to tear 2 140's apart at the same time.
Frank Metasavage

azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

skipvair,

Sent you a PM about the RR code block. It is valuable to some of us Covair nuts as it was a rare code only used for a 66 CORSA 140 with A/C. (See my sig. cars)
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

RR - 1966 140 hp Manual Transmission Corsa Only engine with Air Conditioning

RY -
1966-1967 140 hp Automatic Transmission with Air Conditioning - 500 and Monza
1968 140 hp Manual Transmission, AIR (Air Injection Reactor - SMOG Pump) - 500 and Monza

Because of the need to dissipate increasing amounts of heat as horsepower is increased, and because an air conditioning compressor places a heavy load on the engine and is not particularly designed to be matched with a high revving engine, I don't think that I would ever consider combining a high-performance engine that was operating Weber three barrel carburetors with an air conditioning system. The Corvair air conditioning system places high demands on the engine. It also takes up a lot of space and requires numerous special hardware connections. The 140 hp engine was not even offered in 1965 coupled with an air conditioning system. It was introduced to the Corvairs with 140 hp engines again in 1966-1967. In 1968 the smog pump was introduced to the Corvair engine, along with additional heat, poor performance, and a clumsy installation. It took the place of air conditioning and again made the air-conditioned 140 hp engine a historical footnote.

:link: https://www.corvair.org/chapters/airvairs/
Brad Bodie

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”