Horns

All Models and Years
gregpenn

Horns

Post by gregpenn »

Need some advice on how to recondition my horns. Adjusting the screw, I get a brief vibration, slight sound. Can I fix them or do I buy new ones? Also, I cannot remove the headlight switch. I've pushed the button all I can but the knob/shaft will not pull out.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Corvair Forum mobile app

gregpenn

Re: Horns

Post by gregpenn »

Oops- I've got a 65 Monza conv

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

For the horns remove them from the car and try to operate them directly from a battery with know good ground and power connections. If the do not work this way I would replace them.

For the headlamp switch issue try spraying some penetrating oil down the switch handle shaft. Work it in by pulling the switch in and out a few times. With the switch in to off position, turn into a pretzel and push the little button on top of the switch down. Slowly pull the switch out while holding the button. You should will usually feel a spot where it catches a bit. At this spot wiggle and pull at the knob while also wiggling the little button some.

MOST IMPORTANT....Hold your mouth right while doing the above:)

Seriously I have had to cut a couple switch shafts over the years but usually by doing the above even the worst offenders come out after a bit. You must be careful re-installing the shaft as well It is pretty easy to push the switch internals down into the switch before the shaft engages and then the shaft catch can end up too far down to catch the knob. Then you have to reposition the internals of the switch and try again.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
gregpenn

Post by gregpenn »

Tried the horn connected to battery charger. I didn't know if you could drill the rivets out and repair something internally or not.
A pretzel is accurate. How about cutting a wrist in the process? Finally unscrewed the 2nd nut on the switch, loose enough to see the shaft from the dash, used an awl down the side of the shaft to dislodge that button, got mad and gave the awl a whack, triangular shaft released and came right out. I quit for the day.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

A battery charger may not properly operate the horn. (I have had this happen) Try to operate it from an actual car battery before pronouncing it dead or dissecting it:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

gregpenn

Post by gregpenn »

Good idea. Thanks.

firstgencamarojunkie

Post by firstgencamarojunkie »

I tape a penny to my index finger and use that to press the disengage button.
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

There is a set of contacts inside the horns that probably need to be filed.
Drill and grind the rivets, you can bolt the halves back together.
I did mine on the Spyder, they went from nothing to sounding like new.
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
Peter

Post by Peter »

Drill out the factory rivets and separate the parts and clean every electrical contact point. Pop rivet it back together after. Nothing to it and nothing to lose. Horns don't really go bad. If you buy new ones throw the old ones away to me. LOL
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Danny Joe wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:04 pm There is a set of contacts inside the horns that probably need to be filed.
Drill and grind the rivets, you can bolt the halves back together.
I did mine on the Spyder, they went from nothing to sounding like new.
Nice...good info.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”