Engine won't start

All Models and Years
terribleted

Re: Engine won't start

Post by terribleted »

It is possible to bend valves if the lifters are adjusted way too tight. You can adjust the lifter so tight that they bottom out becoming solid essentially and over pushing the valves so that they can hit the pistons when the engine turns over. If the push rods does not bend the valve might instead.

My experience has been that pushrods generally bend before valves.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

terribleted wrote:It is possible to bend valves if the lifters are adjusted way too tight. You can adjust the lifter so tight that they bottom out becoming solid essentially and over pushing the valves so that they can hit the pistons when the engine turns over. If the push rods does not bend the valve might instead.

My experience has been that pushrods generally bend before valves.
I looked at the push rods and there are 3 or 4 that are bent but ever so slightly. Nothing severe.

Is it possible to tell if valve stems are bent without pulling heads?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Even with the heads off the car it would be hard to tell unless the valve was bent quite a bit without taking the keepers off removing the valve springs and physically moving the valve by hand . It should not bind going in and out. (You could remove the springs and keepers and do this with the head on the engine if you have the right valve spring tool. https://www.harborfreight.com/universal ... 60335.html

I would at likely just make sure each valve is properly moving in and out while wrench turning the engine. If a valve is significantly bent they will often stick and not come out once pressed in by the rocker. If this is the case valve repair is needed. Assuming the valves all seem to move in and out ok I would replace the bent pushrods and "properly" adjust the lifters. After that I would do a compression test. A bent valve would likely show as lowered compression. If compression tests good after I would run it and not worry about it any more.

Oh yeah do all this wrench turning with the sparkplugs removed...makes it bunches easier.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

So I pulled the rockers off, push rods and tubes. Tubes are in great shape. Everything looks fine.
The only thing I noticed is: i have the car on jacks so it is leaning up in the back. I pulled all push rod tubes out. On cylinder 6 intake oil is leaking out of the hole that the push rod tube goes into. It's not doing that on the other side. No I have not drained my oil so just want to make sure this is normal or no? I did also notice on that same cylinder an indent on the rocker that it must have been sitting off kilter but who knows for how long. Any relationship?
Damn everything looks fine other than that. I think my valves must be stuck and without a helper I can't rotate the motor and watch for valve movement.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You are not going to see any valve movement with the pushrods and tubes removed. The pushrods push the rocker arms which in turn push the valve stems making the valves open and close. With the rear of the car on jackstands and the oil still in the engine it would be normal to get some leakage if forward pushrod tubes are removed. You say you removed all the pushrod tubes? Why? Did you remove them all at once or did you only do 2 at a time and re-torque each pair of rocker studs along the way? If not you need to loosen all the upper head nuts and completely re-torque the cylinder head in sequence per the shop manual as even head torques are lost if more than 2 rocker studs are removed at one time. I do not know what you mean by a indent in a rocker. If there is a low spot worn in a rocker arm by the valve stem there is certainly some issue at that valve. Could be sticking, worn out valve guide, bad lifter bent pushrod or something else causing wear over time. Attach a photo of this indent? I sent you a PM on this forum with a phone number. I can teach you more, and learn more about your situation in like 5 minutes than we can in a week of posting back and forth. At this point from where I am sitting it looks as if you have done some incorrect and unnecessary procedures that could have fairly easily avoided with just a little discussion or a couple questions asked. I do not bite and do not mind spending a few mins on the phone to help get you going in the right direction.

66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

I private messaged you

GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

I adjusted my valves too tight and they wouldn't start car or show compression. Re-adjusting them changed the world!
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I got no PM 66corsaguy. You are welcome to call me if you like. Ted

66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

terribleted wrote:I got no PM 66corsaguy. You are welcome to call me if you like. Ted
I'm going to ring you tomorrow. I will be with the car all day but I had to work all weekend. I do have a few questions for you and would like your advice

66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

GasDaddy140 wrote:I adjusted my valves too tight and they wouldn't start car or show compression. Re-adjusting them changed the world!
I did and still horrible noise. Not really sure what's going on could be related to crane ignition I put in. It sucks when you do multiple changes hard to pinpoint where the flaw is

marion corvair

Post by marion corvair »

When adjusting the valves, after you adjust number one cylinder, turn the engine 120 degrees and adjust the next
cylinder in the firing order. the easy way to do this is to make two more marks 120 degrees from the top dead center
timing mark around the pulley. if I did not understand the problem I am sorry.
marion corvair.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

66corsaguy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:09 pm
terribleted wrote:I got no PM 66corsaguy. You are welcome to call me if you like. Ted
I'm going to ring you tomorrow. I will be with the car all day but I had to work all weekend. I do have a few questions for you and would like your advice

No prob. I am around all day.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”