Front Tow Hooks

All Models and Years
lalkie

Front Tow Hooks

Post by lalkie »

My 65 corsa quit the other day and I wanted to tow it home. I looked at the front bumper and was unable to find a good way to find anything to attach to the front bumper. Has anyone attached hooks or something else to the front bumper to tow a corvair? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry.
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Front Tow Hooks

Post by thewolfe »

Best place to hook up front is around the suspension cross member. Whatever you do, don't hook on the steering linkage!
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Old school tow bars with metal hook brackets will mount to a Corvair front bumper. They are hard on the chrome and can bend the bumper. Tow strap is best looped around the center of the front crossmember (watch out how it pulls against the front lower trunk floor...might crush any front air dam). Flatbed wrecker is the best way to move one.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Best tow method is on a flat bed tow truck. Sorry to say, been in that situation more than once.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
lalkie

Post by lalkie »

Tying to the cross member probably would mess up the air dam I took of a 67 and put on my 65. Doesn't look like any way is a good solution. I expect to crawl under the car and see if I can figure something out.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”