Crane EI

All Models and Years
66corsaguy

Crane EI

Post by 66corsaguy »

DOes anyone know if Crane changed its name to FAST. I bought Crane ignition on AMAZON and it comes in as FAST Image

Is it the same? Did I buy the correct one for my 66 Corsa? I also got the ps20 coil which is labeled FAST

do I have to use the ballast? I have a brand new clarks harness and not modified. the cloth wire is the resistor wire? It loops in a circle.

I think my coil has failed or the pertronix cos I am unable to turn the car over it stalled a bunch prior. Backfired prior. and now is just rrrr rrrrr rrrrr rrrrr. Tried a jump. Nada. I have gen light and fuel gage. so thinking it's coil. Don't know it's age. How long they last I read is anyone guess!

I'm going to attempt install tonight I hear this EI is solid but I hope I have the correct version and not some knockoff???

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Re: Crane EI

Post by terribleted »

Interesting. Big suppliers calling FAST the replacement and the Crane unit un-available. The parts look the same. P/N is same so perhaps it has the same parts and should be correct for application.
Last edited by terribleted on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

terribleted wrote:Interesting. Big suppliers calling FAST the replacement and the Crane unit in-available. The parts look the same. P/N is same so perhaps it has the same parts and should be correct for application.
Hmmm. Interesting.

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Oh yeah The Crane XR700 connects directly to the stock ballast (ignition wire) in the harness with no mods. Read the directions on the FAST to be sure it uses the ballast wire.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Fast bought Crane's ignition products and technology.

I have the same "Crane" unit on my turbo Corsa - bought from Clarks. It requires the ballast do not run straight 12v. Get the documentation from here: http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instru ... -0700_.pdf

Do not push the shutter all the way down - it will rub the point plate.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: Why not call Crane Cams Technical Support directly and ask them to confirm if their brand name/marketing/production labeling has changed. You can also ask them about the requirement for a ballast resistor to reduce the input power voltage supply feed for the electronic module.

The system used to be marketed as the ALLISON XR700 until Crane bought Allison. To add to the confusion factor is that Crane Cams also offers the XR3000, which appears to be an updated XR700 design that no longer demands the use of a factory ballast resistor, but instead runs on a full 12 VDC -- requiring the removal of the ballast resistor or resistor wire from the ignition primary circuit. The marketing price and operational/functional use for the XR3000 seems to be the same as (or similar to) the XR700. Can the XR700 and XR3000 be used interchangably? :dontknow:
XR3000
For increased spark energy (over 150% greater spark gap energy over stock points ignition) and maintenance-free operation the XR3000 is the answer. It’s a high performance version of the XR700. It incorporates surface-mount technology for reduced size and greater reliability, and internal components are sealed in urethane for protection from dirt, moisture and vibration. An optical trigger is included in the easy-to-install package. Available for most domestic and import 4, 6 and 8-cylinder applications. Use with canister or E-Core coils.
GETTING THE RIGHT POINTS REPLACEMENT
• Call toll-free 866-388-5120 and get personalized assistance from one of our experienced technicians. The tech line hours are: Monday thru Friday 8 AM to 5 PM (Eastern).
:link: http://www.cranecams.com/view.php?s_id=17
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Fast press release:
FAST Unveils New Ignition Division

Memphis, TN – FAST is launching a full line of ignition systems and related components for both race and street applications to strengthen its position as the leader in fuel, air and spark technology.

For more than two decades FAST has been at the forefront of the performance aftermarket with its state-of-the-art fuel injection systems, manifolds, throttle bodies and more. Now the COMP Performance Group brand has entered the ignition market with its purchase of Crane Cams’ ignition products and technology.

FAST customers will have a wide variety of products to choose from for drag, oval track, road racing and street performance use. Parts include the full line of previously Crane-branded components, along with new products developed by the FAST engineering staff, including the E7 CD Ignition Controller. Each component is designed and developed using cutting-edge technology, and then painstakingly tested both in the lab and on the track. All FAST parts are also backed by unmatched technical assistance that lets customers stay ahead of the competition. FAST ignition systems and components such as coils, distributors, crank triggers and spark plug wires can be found in the new 2016 Ignition Catalog and on the FAST website.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

acarlson wrote:Fast bought Crane's ignition products and technology.

I have the same "Crane" unit on my turbo Corsa - bought from Clarks. It requires the ballast do not run straight 12v. Get the documentation from here: http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instru ... -0700_.pdf

Alec
Hey Alec. I'm installing the shutter and lens did you have brackets that fit perfectly or did you have to make something? None of the brackets supplied are working with my holes.

I did push it all the way down but had a feeling it was too low cos it won't center on the lens

I'm getting a little frustrated cos I'm wondering if they left some parts out.
In paticular this: Image

If I had that I'm sure it would fit since it looks highly adjustable.

notched

Post by notched »

Crane was sold some years back. Some of the product lines were sold off to other companies. Their ignition products were nice but slow sellers. FAST (Fuel Air Spark Technology) is a big player in stand alone efi systems and components that is owned by the same group that owns Comp Cams/TCI/Zex/RHS/Inglese
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

66corsaguy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:07 pm Hey Alec. I'm installing the shutter and lens did you have brackets that fit perfectly or did you have to make something? None of the brackets supplied are working with my holes.
I'll pull the distributor cap off later this morning and post a picture.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is a link to the FAST (Fuel Air Spark Technology) website...

:link: http://www.fuelairspark.com/

IGNITION & COMPONENTS

:link: http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/ignitio ... onentshtml

ImageImage
Does FAST® offer a points replacement kit?
You bet! For muscle cars and early rods, we offer a compact kit called the XR-i. This device mounts in place of the points assembly and triggers the ignition from the original lobes for simple installation and solution. For other applications such as vintage racing, we offer two higher output systems, the XR-700 and XR-3000. We even have an optical trigger kit to use with an E6 ignition. See pages 16-18 for more information.
Attachments
FAST Ignition - 2017.pdf
FAST Ignition - 2017
(4.01 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
FAST-2016-Catalog.pdf
FAST-2016-Catalog
(13.25 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

66corsaguy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:07 pm
acarlson wrote:Fast bought Crane's ignition products and technology.

Alec
Hey Alec. I'm installing the shutter and lens did you have brackets that fit perfectly or did you have to make something? None of the brackets supplied are working with my holes.

I did push it all the way down but had a feeling it was too low cos it won't center on the lens

I'm getting a little frustrated cos I'm wondering if they left some parts out.
In paticular this: Image

If I had that I'm sure it would fit since it looks highly adjustable.

Unless they changed it somehow this is not the bracket you would use. The bracket is likely flat with a pin on one end of the under side and a screw hole on the other (just like the bottom of the points) The bracket has on upright tab in the near middle that the optical pickup screws too. Perhaps the P/N 226 does not include what you need...there have always been multiple P/N's for these with varied brackets in each. Call the manufacturer to make sure what you need is in your kit before spending a lot of time trying to make improper parts work.

acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Here is a top-down view - you can see the pin on the left side of the bracket:
SAM_0576s.jpg
SAM_0576s.jpg (143.23 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Here is a side view. You can see where the shutter is positioned and the bracket screw on the right side:
SAM_0578s.jpg
SAM_0578s.jpg (200.16 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Here is another side view:
SAM_0577s.jpg
SAM_0577s.jpg (220.53 KiB) Viewed 655 times
This is the resistor you should have gotten with the XR-700. Pay no attention to where it is mounted. I'm using it on my engine stand. You should not need it with the stock Vair engine harness.
SAM_0580s.jpg
SAM_0580s.jpg (123.5 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Here is the picture from the XR-700 documentation. Use the Mallory YL bracket (L-shaped, pin on one side, screw hole on the other):
mallory.jpg
mallory.jpg (95.96 KiB) Viewed 655 times
The bracket goes where points were mounted. Use the points screw to mount it.

I got 5 different types of brackets with my 700. It took some experimentation to figure out which one to use on my engine...

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Unfortunately all the kits do not include all the available brackets. I have gotten one XR700 in the past that did not include the one needed in the Corvairs. The parts included vary by part number. I do not for sure know the P/N you need.

66corsaguy

Post by 66corsaguy »

The PO used pertronix and I switched to the Crane. I used the same metal thing after looking at your original picture I realized which one you used.

So I don't have that spring tho that you have. Everything (points etc) was pulled prior. Hoping that's not important.

But I think I've got it correctly and I skipped the ceramic thing because I have a brand new engine harness with fabric resistor wire intact. Image

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

The Crane unit is made to install to the STOCK points plate. The Pertronics replaces the stock point plate with their own unit. I am not sure the Crane parts are fully compatible with Pertronics plate.

What you have pictured there might work but hard to tell from the photo whether the optical pickup is truly where it can get the full read on the rotor slots coming by. I would re-install a stock points plate and the proper Crane brackets to work with it.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”