LM Rear Engine Seal Options...

All Models and Years
GasDaddy140

LM Rear Engine Seal Options...

Post by GasDaddy140 »

Hi Corvairs!
I have a pretty good condition engine sheet-metal seal, but it's really stressing me out trying to fit it. I wish that I had put it on when the engine was outside the car. ARE THERE ANY OTHER OPTIONS? I'm up for another option.
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: LM Rear Engine Seal Options...

Post by davemotohead »

No options worth trying, I always install the seals and retainers when the engine is out leaving a little slack at the corners, But when the engine is in already, the best way to do it is snap the spring retainer on the engine tins all the way around with the seam at the rear, then start at the front middle and get the rubber in the groove of the retainer and bolt it in, then work your way around making sure the squarish part of the seat is in the correct position in the retainer, its not that hard.
corvairsince70

Post by corvairsince70 »

I leave the seal on the car and attach it to the engine sheet metal before the engine is raised completely. With the engine an inch or so low, there is more finger room to attach the seal. Start in the middle front and work around. Then raise the engine and tighten nuts. Works every time.
GasDaddy140

Post by GasDaddy140 »

I'm doing the engine seal after gleaning knowledge from DaveMotoHead. I didn't even know where to start. Feels good becoming a Corvair man.
Attachments
IMG_0033.JPG
Alan Duquette
Rohnert Park, CA
"When in doubt...Hit the gas!" A.J. Foyt.

1965 Corvair Corsa (field find) Project
1971 Dodge Sportsman "shorty" 318 van
2015 Nissan Juke S

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”