Foward face engine install.

All Models and Years
Rmann67

Foward face engine install.

Post by Rmann67 »

Hello,

I am toying with the idea of using a corvair engine in a garden tractor for pulling. I have a couple engines laying around and would like any information on what is needed to turn the engine around to face forward. I have seen this a couple of times on the internet but I am not able to find any info on how it is done. I realize the engine turns opposite rotation of a normal engine. Is there any other transmissions that can be used. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!
notched

Re: Foward face engine install.

Post by notched »

Reverse the rotation of the engine and then bolt it to a conventional transmission/transaxle.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: Here are some reverse rotation options that include reversing an old VW differential. Changing the cam to switch to a veverse rotation camshaft is a big job that requires a complete teardown of the engine. If you were not planning on overhauling the engine and splitting the engine cases, and if you can locate an old Volkswagen transaxle and adapt it to your intended use, reversing the differential in this light-duty intended application might be the most-economical and simplest approach. If you were to go mid-engine coupled with a VW transaxle, everything changes again. See the section below on MID-ENGINE CONFIGURATION WITH A VW TRANSAXLE...

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... graygo.y=0
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
billfunk29

Post by billfunk29 »

I am also thinking about putting my Corvair engine ahead of the axle. By rotating the engine, the rotation now matches the rest of the world. Right now I am looking at an Audi transaxle. Looks like a simple adaptor plate will do the trick. Anyone else done this?

I am also planning on putting all the accessories(including two blowers to replace the stock fan) in a frame mounted ahead of the engine with a drive shaft like Previa. In fact the Previa supercharger might be interesting too.

This is going in a FC pickup and I want all this to fit under the floor of the box.
Rmann67

Post by Rmann67 »

Thank you all for the information. This will get me started as this is at the planning stage yet.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”