Question on engine temp sending units

All Models and Years
AZScott

Question on engine temp sending units

Post by AZScott »

I am in the process of putting together a '64 turbo motor. It's been a part for awhile and I am not sure now where these go. It's fun trying to find all the bits that came off this thing and getting back where they belong. I need a little help identifying the head temp sending units, and if it makes a difference where they go. The large one on the left I believe is the after market oil temp sensor that would go on the side of the bottom oil pan. The other two I need some help on. :dontknow: Thanks appreciate any help. Thanks
Imagesensor by
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Question on engine temp sending units

Post by bbodie52 »

The wiring details, picture of the sending units, and the 1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems are seen below or are attached.

The OIL PRESSURE WARNING LIGHT SWITCH (To the right of the generator) or the CYLINDER HEAD TEMPERATURE SWITCH (Right cylinder head underside, near the exhaust manifold). are just on/off switches, which turn the instrument panel warning lights on when the switch closes and provides a GROUND to the warning light circuit. The temperature gauge thermistor is a variable resistor that changes resistance as engine heat varies. The resistance changes are reflected on the cylinder head temperature gauge in the Spyder or Corsa instrument panel. The thermistor, which looks like a small spark plug, is installed in the left cylinder head, near the exhaust manifold.

1964 Combined Passenger Compartment & Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram

1964 Spyder Temp Gauge Detail

Oil pressure warning light switch

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner. You can download shop manuals, assembly manuals, supplements, and many other useful Corvair-related technical references in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format at no cost...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:chevy:
Attachments
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 8 - Electrical Systems
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Left one is the temp switch that goes on the passenger side head. Middle one is the thermistor that goes in the driver side head. One on the right is neither. Not sure what it is but is not a stock sender.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks Guys, that's a big help. I had it wrong and glad I checked. The one on the right must be the aftermarket Oil temp Guage that attaches to the drain pan. Thanks again.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Agree with Nate on the ID. Far right one is sure to be an aftermarket oil (or water) temp sensor.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”