Valve Questions

All Models and Years
jmikulec

Valve Questions

Post by jmikulec »

If I have a 64 turbo 150 head and it's the 164 ci engine, can I put the the bigger 140 valves on there without a lot of trouble?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Valve Questions

Post by thewolfe »

No. You can fit a 140 exhaust valve in if the head is machined for the larger 140 seats. The 140 intake valves are too large to fit in a small valve head because they are positioned out toward the cylinder wall more than a 140 head. They can be turned to a smaller diameter to fit though, along with machining the head to fit an appropriately sized seat. Tom Knoblauch does this conversion and I have a set of 95 hp heads he did this to in my car. Top notch work but not cheap.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

All valve specifications can be found on page 8 - POWER TRAINS (Adobe Reader Page 42 of 79) in the attached 1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.

The 95, 110, 180 hp overall valve head diameter is INTAKE: 1.335-1.345, EXHAUST: 1.235-1.245.

The 140 hp overall valve head diameter is INTAKE: 1.715-1.725, EXHAUST: 1.355-1.365.

:chevy:
The attachment 1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf is no longer available
Attachments
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

Ok if I were just going to change this motor to a 110 with two rochesters would I get the 110 valves and would they work with this turbo head? What other modifications do I need?

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If you want make your turbo engine into a 110HP engine, you need 2 110Hp heads, 2 carbs, proper throttle rods from the side of the trans thru the linkage to the carbs, 2 carb fuel line set, a 110HP distributor, and likely a different camshaft. The turbo heads are not the same as 110 heads. They are turbo only in design (the difference is in the shape of the combustion chambers mostly). You can put carbs, linkages on your turbo heads, change the distributor to one with vacuum advance (non turbo),and operate the engine that way. I am not sure what the HP result would be, nor am I sure how drivable it would be ( I am betting reasonably ok). Perhaps someone that has operated one like that will chime in.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
toytron

Post by toytron »

I bought a 65 corsa that someone took the turbo setup off and just put two carbs on. It runs fine but it doesn't run as good as it could with all the proper changes as Ted had mentioned. I plan on swapping it out after I get the body work done because I have a 65 engine with the turbo I picked up last year.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

Is there such a thing as tulip valves for a corvair? Also, are clarks tufftrided valves any good? Just need good strong valve for a street use 110 hp engine.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”