interior courtesy light, 63 spyder convertible

All Models and Years
adamhut

interior courtesy light, 63 spyder convertible

Post by adamhut »

Can anyone help with a pic or diagram for the mounting of the interior courtesy light for 63 spyder convertible? There is a loose wired socket (no bulb inserted) tucked up near the handbrake. Clark's sells the mounting bracket itself, but it is not obvious to me how it attaches. I've had the car since 1987 and never even realized it had a courtesy light capability. Any help is appreciated.
Adam

Sent from my KFGIWI using Corvair Forum mobile app

dave t

Re: interior courtesy light, 63 spyder convertible

Post by dave t »

There should be a hole in the under dash frame to insert a screw the bracket in place. The light sits up behind the dash shining down. Be careful to bens it up. I scratched my hand on the corners when using the E-brake handle. Test the socket first to make sure it works. The door buttons often fail. There should also be a lamp on the far side of the glove box.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

adamhut

Post by adamhut »

dave t wrote:There should be a hole in the under dash frame to insert a screw the bracket in place. The light sits up behind the dash shining down. Be careful to bens it up. I scratched my hand on the corners when using the E-brake handle. Test the socket first to make sure it works. The door buttons often fail. There should also be a lamp on the far side of the glove box.

Thanks...I was also planning on lighting up the glove box. There is a wired connector dangling there, but no switch or bulb socket. Will definitely test to see if door switch is working and if glove box wires have voltage

dave t

Post by dave t »

The glove box light is the same on most GM cars around 1964-72 You can get one from a Chevelle, GTO, Cutlass, Monte Carlo etc. Search for your best price.
Test the wire. It should have unswitched power on it unless the fuse has blown. Keep us posted.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

For the glove compartment light switch, I attempted to arrange the picture of the switch and socket assembly to illustrate the internal electrical connectivity. The spring is always in contact with the center terminal of the bulb once it is installed in the socket. The outer metal bulb casing is in contact with the positive wire terminal. The black plastic plunger prevents the spring from contacting the metal (ground) attaching hardware until the glove compartment door is opened. When opened, the spring contacts the metal mount (chassis ground) and completes the circuit, illuminating the bulb.

Corvair glovebox lighting hardware and convertible courtesy light mounting hardware are shown below on page 93 of the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog page…

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=93

Part number C9947: GLOVEBOX LIGHT KIT-WIRE,CONNECTORS,LIGHT & BULB

Weight: 0 lbs 6 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 93
Price: $ 25.70

The wiring diagram labeling for the glove compartment illumination lamp is a little confusing in the 1962-1963 diagrams. The glove compartment lamp is shown in the schematic diagram near the HEATER RESISTOR at the top of the illustration. In the 1962-1963 diagram. It is confusingly labeled "INSTR. COMPT. LAMP". In the 1964 schematic diagram it has been relabeled by the GM technical illustrator as "GLOVE COMPT. LAMP" for easier identification.

Left-click picture to enlarge for better viewing...
1963 Corvair Instrument Panel and Body Wiring Diagram (Dome Light Circuit)
1963 Corvair Instrument Panel and Body Wiring Diagram (Dome Light Circuit)

1964 Corvair Interior Wiring Diagram
1964 Corvair Interior Wiring Diagram
Interestingly, the left-hand and right-hand interior courtesy lamps that were installed in place of the dome lamp in convertibles was apparently never included in the schematic diagrams prior to 1965. The 1965 diagram below clearly shows L.H. COURT LAMP (10567-767 ONLY) to illustrate the differences in wiring for the 10567 (Monza convertible) and 10767 (Corsa convertible) interior lighting, when the dome light was not in use (for convertibles). This detail was omitted in the shop manual supplements for earlier model years.

The courtesy light supports for early model and late-model convertibles are also listed on the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog page 93 shown above.
1965-69 Glove Box Wiring
1965-69 Glove Box Wiring
A wide variety of LED automotive interior courtesy lights are available. I found quite a few listed on Amazon.com. Many of these could be easily wired to the existing Corvair wiring as substitutes for the earlier bulbs. They produce little heat, draw only a little current, and produce bright illumination.

:link: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... esy+lights
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
adamhut

Post by adamhut »

Just a quick update on these light projects. I installed the new glove box light kit (harness, wire, bulb, switch) from Clark's and it works great. It is nice being able to not fumble around for the garage door opener in the dark.

The courtesy lights is a good news\bad news situation. There was a broken off bulb in the passenger side light socket, which is good since it kept the contacts from rusting. I bought a bulb, inserted it and it works fine. On the drivers side, I got the new bracket, figured out where it goes by mirroring the passenger side configuration, and set it up. Hiwever, when I inserted a new bulb, it blew a fuse, so I needed to figure that out.

Also took the opportunity to put new kick panels in, and they definitely improve the look...simple upgrade for 8 bucks a side.

cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Were you using a two-contact bulb? A single contact bulb will blow the fuse.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
adamhut

Post by adamhut »

No, was using the same bulb that worked on the other side...Sylvania 89.

adamhut

Post by adamhut »

Sorry, shoulda answered yes, was using a two contact bulb.

gregpenn

Post by gregpenn »

A two contact bulb for the courtesy socket?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Corvair Forum mobile app

adamhut

Post by adamhut »

Well, it is a bayonet base bulb with the bottom and side separately making electrical contact...

adamhut

Post by adamhut »

Turns out the contact in the bottom of the socket wasn't seated properly, so when I put the bulb in it kinda folded over and touched the side contact, thus why the fuse blew. Once corrected, it works fine. So now both courtesy lights work.

Also, the bulbs i got from Clark's (turn out to be Wagner 89) don't work since they can't insert far enough for the bulb to turn and be held in the socket. Fortunately, Sylvania 89 do work since the glass bulb isn't as round as the Wagner's and the lip between the metal base and the glass bulb is flatter than the wagners. The Sylvania 89 bulbs can be inserted a bit into the socket to turn and be held in tight.

gregpenn

Post by gregpenn »

Good to know, thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”