windshield wipers won't park

All Models and Years
Chas365

windshield wipers won't park

Post by Chas365 »

My car is a 65 monza coupe that is still in the process of restoration/reassembly and just back from the paint shop, it was stripped to a shell.
Looking for help or opinions - My windshield wipers do not park when I turn the dash switch off, they just stop where they are.
This happens when the ignition switch is in ACC or ON.
I went on line and verified that my wiring is correct using a diagram that I got from one of the forum topics. I also had my wife operate the switch while I jiggled the connections on the motor to see if anything seemed loose - no difference.
They are the two speed wipers, and the washer seems to work properly.
I plan to check the switch connections, the switch is original to the car.
I also Plan to use the writup that accompanied the diagram to verify the levels on the motor/washer terminals to the extent that I can.

I'm now down to a couple weeks of work to start driving the after it sat in my garage for 45 years.
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Charlie Brady
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: windshield wipers won't park

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: The shop manual section that pertains to the windshield wiper motor is attached below. The windshield wiper motor description, removal, and disassembly procedures began on page 12–14. I have never actually performed this ritual, but the shop manual procedure for repairing the windshield wiper motor includes drilling rivets and perhaps a somewhat difficult to follow process. The description below indicates that two switches, connected in parallel, control the starting, stopping and parking of the motor. An internal cam-operated park switch, which is physically located in the wiper gearbox, is likely the source of your trouble.
Windshield Wiper Motor Description.jpg
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - CHASSIS ELECTRICAL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 12 - CHASSIS ELECTRICAL
(6.99 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
Clark's Corvair Parts offers a two speed rebuilt wiper motor for $127.85 (minus a $70 core charge, which you will get back when you return your old motor). An exchange labor cost of $57.85 doesn't sound to be too unreasonable, considering the potential difficulty of a DIY home rebuild effort. I have not personally gone through this wiper motor rebuild procedure, but if I did have a faulty motor I would likely take advantage of the Clark's Corvair Parts motor rebuild service. Perhaps someone else on the Corvair Forum has actually performed this process and can speak better from first-hand experience.

:link: https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalo ... N&page=211
Part number C8233: REBLT WIPER MOTOR 62-69 2 SPD-TRANSFER* *THEIR WASHER UNIT, EXC IF THEY HAVE GEAR

NOTICE: Price includes core value: $70.00. You will be issued a refund of $70.00 when you return the used part.

Weight: 6 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 211
Price: $ 127.85
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dave t

Post by dave t »

The switch sends ground to the wiper motor. When you turn it off, there is no ground to park the motor. There is a brass strip that goes under one mounting screw that provides park ground. Make sure that the brass strap is there and grounded. You may have paint in the threads insulating the screw. Use a tap to clean the threads. If you do not have the brass strap let us know. I will dig out one of my spare wiper motors and let you know where the strap needs to be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Chas365

Post by Chas365 »

I assume you are talking about one of the three rubber bushed mounting screws. I checked and found a strap which looks like it is riveted to the flat mounting plate and goes under the washer of the the upper left mounting screw. The strap definitely has paint or something else coating it. But the face of the washer is clean. I'll remove the bolt and clean up the strap where the washer meets it and see what happens.
Thanks, Charlie
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Check this thread to be sure the wires are connected correctly.

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=12015&p=82177&hili ... ing#p82177
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Chas365

Post by Chas365 »

I cleaned up the contact strap and put a serrated washer on the screw to get a better connection - still did not park.
So I replaced the whole wiper/washer with another one, and it still did not park
So to go over this again the low and high speed functions work and the washer works properly also.
If I understand how the park function works, it does not use the switch on the dash for anything other then the 12 volt power so the switch should not be the problem.??
When i replaced the wiper/washer I checked the threads in the screw holes and they are shiny so contact should be good.
Questions:
Could it be a screw that doesn't conduct very well?
Could I have the assembly rotated from its normal orientation and am attempting to ground in a wrong screw hole - does this matter?
Thanks again
Charlie
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Post a photo of the wiper motor so we can have a look at the wiring.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
dave t

Post by dave t »

Key switched 12v+ is always on the motor. The wiper switch sends ground. We know the switch is properly grounded because the motor runs.
Do you have a 12v test light? Put the clip on +12v. Touch the brass strap with the probe and the test light should light if the strap is grounded. If no light. Do what it takes to ground the strap. That is what allows the park to work.

Chas365

Post by Chas365 »

I my VOM on the 12 volt connector and the copper strap first and then the mounting screw head to see if I got a voltage reading, I measured 5 volts. I checked using chassis ground elsewhere and got 12 volts.
I realized was seeing the result of a loose connection downstream - no surprise there I guess.
I replaced the mounting screw with a new stainless screw and got 12 volts. I tested the operation and it worked!!!
Thanks to everybody for the help and suggestions.
Charlie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:clap: :tu: I learned a lot about the wiper system and troubleshooting it from this thread. Thanks for sharing!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dave t

Post by dave t »

Great! Congrats!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”